Inductor value on B&W 805S?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• B&W 805S Crossover.PNG
    B&W 805S Crossover.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 154
Sounds a bit complicated to me.

I have a £70 multimeter from Maplin which is very accurate for coils and capacitors. It opens up some interesting interaction experiments too.

In fact I often find marked components are wrongly labelled. Some of my 0.2mH coils turned out to be 0.3mH. Which was handy, because I was low on those. :)

Worth mentioning that you can unwind coils for lower values. You take off less than you might expect, because inductance is the square of the number of turns. You can use the resistance scale to measure the DC resistance too. But DCR for say, 0.2mH is typically 0.2R with aircores.

Attachments

• Coil Interaction 1mH 0.2mH 3.3uF.jpg
    Coil Interaction 1mH 0.2mH 3.3uF.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:
Hi Lojzek, how you doing?
I'll take a look into it. Is it straight forward and can you recommend a guide?

Cheers!

Hello Gracol,

I believe I'm doing well, who knows, I might be nuts though. A couple
more decades at best and I'm off to...you know :).

The good news is that ARTA software works well with my prehistoric
sound blaster 128. I have been able to measure impedance with that
card without the use of an amplifier, only with a single resistor of 100 ohms.

The reading was correct. The LIMP manual that you'll be able to find will
tell in detail hows and whats to measure succesfully. The author himself is
a stand up guy, he gives his software fully functional for free with some
minor restrictions. I remember it takes some time to perform a sweep
to get an impedance graph.

ARTA Download

Thanks system7. I have a £40 one from Maplin, lol! Not sure it does inductance though. Will have to fish it out and have a look. Hopefully I can find it!

Thanks Lojzek for the pointers. I think we're all a bit nuts to one degree or another, lol!
I'll take a look into ARTA and the LIMP manual over the weekend and see how I get on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.