Ifi Zen Streamer plus upgraded power supply - the streamer to beat??

Hi Fellow Audiophile nerds,

I know everyone likes to put a plug in for whatever products they happen to have in their system. I'm no better. But, I thought it would be worth sharing my experience with the ifi Zen Stream paired with an upgraded linear power supply, because it sounds great and seems like a really good value for what you get.

The ifi Zen stream is a small device, purpose built, with USB output. It cost me $400 USD on Amazon. Has been favorably reviewed by many including Absolute Sound, Audio Excellence Canada, and others. Some reviewers mentioned issues connecting to wifi, but I haven't had any problems. Ifi claims the product downloads firmware updates automatically. Streaming via Tidal Connect has been rock solid for me thus far.

I added a linear power supply from a British company called McRU - recommended by the British Audiophile. McRU makes a power supply for the Zen Stream and it costs around $350.

So, with this $750 combination, it seems I have a streamer with most of the features that you would find in high-end streamers from Auralic or Aurendor, and they retail from something like $3500 and way up. What I don't yet have is I2S output and a really good internal clock to reduce jitter before going into my DAC. But, Denafrips offers 3 digital to digital units, with their entry level Iris going for about $550 USD. So that's another option for those wanting to improve performance further.

How does it all sound? Going from a Bluesound Node 2i using coaxial output into a Denafrips Ares II, to the Zen stream with upgraded power supply USB output into the Denafrips Ares II the upgrade was very significant. More clarity, darker (less noisy) background, better instrument separation, and overall the sound seems to have a bit more weight to it.

Just thought I'd share this, and would love to hear others' opinions and experiences.

If searching for the best sound from a DAC, its probably best to start with isolated asynchronous USB. Easiest way to get a very clean synchronous system working. Once the dac is acceptably perfected, they try to get equal performance with it connected to a streamer. It may be a USB connection to the streamer that that turns out to be the cleanest option.

Had this with ifi iPower, PITA to use for me, sometimes it works with Bubble Upnp sometimes Tidal... most of the time needs to be restarted.

Bested it with a fanless PC with audirvana by a noticeable difference when both went into Denafrips Terminator.
I haven't even use the DDC yet.

Promptly sold this.

How does it all sound? Going from a Bluesound Node 2i using coaxial output into a Denafrips Ares II, to the Zen stream with upgraded power supply USB output into the Denafrips Ares II the upgrade was very significant. More clarity, darker (less noisy) background, better instrument separation, and overall the sound seems to have a bit more weight to it.
Was the listening comparison level matched? If not, you may want to try again with level matched listening because you can listen to same DAC at different (volume) levels and it can easily cause the sound difference.

will measure next time when I compare again.
You will need to measure the voltage at the speaker terminal to ensure that each listening was done with same level going in to speakers. Also, it will need to be double blind listening to ensure that bias is controlled and switching between devices being tested will need to be done within seconds to preserve the short aural memory we all have.

However you decide to compare, please let us know your listening impressions, any measurements you may like to share, and if you wish to, the conditions you actually ended up using for listening tests (whether or not it was highly rigorous).

Regarding streamers, volume levels should not be different in principle if software is configured exactly the same. A measurement could confirm if that is the case.

Since years a huge community is more than happy using RPi as streamer. With a bit a tweaking it's the device to beat!

All these devices respond to better power supplies btw. Many of the inmates around here run Allo power supplies,
or Ian Canada based devices.

With RPi you're most flexible. Especially on the SW side. Volumio ??? Volumio on iFi ??? Oh dear.

And pricewise an RPi4 based solution is also hard to beat, even if you attach an iFi iSilencer or an iPurifier to it.

And it goes even further. I am running for more than a year and RPi4 also with SSD attached. Basically a standalone
audio solution, and also stream Qobuz btw. Another one for "flexibility.

I am also really wondering for how long you get SW support from iFi for that $350 device !?!? RPi support
counts 10 years by now.

If iFi considers "Software jitter being overlooked" , they should have had a look at their DACs first and foremost.
If their DACs can not handle it, their DACs have an issue. No matter what you gonna attach to these DACs, you'll
gamble for best sound. That's of course no iFi issue only. Most DACs have these issues.

Bottom line. Flexibility is key.

Good luck. Enjoy