Icepower from Ebay, Aliexpress, etc. ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The modules themselves are fairly reliable.

They are designed as professional sound reinforcement building blocks so made to take a pounding, although perhaps not up to "audiophile" standards for the living room. Some say they're a bit lacking in low bass, although I've seen no evidence of that. Also, check the spec sheets, some of the higher power modules are only rated for maximum power for very short duration... in minutes... before overheating.

I can't vouch for the build quality of the pre-assembled amps on EBay, etc. But PS Audio is using them in their Stellar and Sprout lines with good success.

These are very neutral sounding amps. They will work as they come, but are not really finished, for universal operation you should add an input buffer.
If you ignore this fact, the resulting sound depends very much on the pre-amp you use. While they will sound great with a strong, active driver / buffer, a passive pre is the worst you can do to them.
This explains the different impressions and opinions about them. You find ICE modules in some very expensive high end amps, as well as in active loudspeakers, monitors and PA.
So it depends on the way you implement them into your system what you will get. The 50ASX2 got some negative critic they do not deserve, as they often fail if used in bridged configuration with too low load resistance. TEAC sold an amp based on them too, this was know to cause all kinds of problems, which where not the fault of the ICE modules. Just a very bad implementation by Teac.
While the 50/125SX2 should be driven single ended, there are the amps of the 250/500/1000 line, that have to be driven symmetrically to give best performance.

Last edited:
These are very neutral sounding amps. They will work as they come, but are not really finished, for universal operation you should add an input buffer.
If you ignore this fact, the resulting sound depends very much on the pre-amp you use. While they will sound great with a strong, active driver / buffer, a passive pre is the worst you can do to them.
This explains the different impressions and opinions about them. You find ICE modules in some very expensive high end amps, as well as in active loudspeakers, monitors and PA.
So it depends on the way you implement them into your system what you will get. The 50ASX2 got some negative critic they do not deserve, as they often fail if used in bridged configuration with too low load resistance. TEAC sold an amp based on them too, this was know to cause all kinds of problems, which where not the fault of the ICE modules. Just a very bad implementation by Teac.
While the 50/125SX2 should be driven single ended, there are the amps of the 250/500/1000 line, that have to be driven symmetrically to give best performance.
I hope I do not have problems with mine... I am setting them up as balanced, and driving them from my Yamaha cxa5100 feeding an Xilica xp4080 crossover.

If you bridge an amp and run it on a sub 4 Ohm load, the load seen by critical components is less than two ohm. That may overload the 50SX2 and make it´s power supply give up.

As this is often ignored, some fail. Then, people too stupid to drive something right, blame the ICE module.

Used as supposed, they will last, as these are very well designed amps. Some of the best on the market, I could add.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.