I would like a recommendation for a class D amp

Erlas

2018-05-20 7:31 pm
Hey guys.

So I'm trying to build a somewhat portable two-way stereo speakers.
Theese are the drivers I decided to use (yes this is a budget build):
woofer: tcp115-8 (dayton)
tweeter: nd20fb-4 (dayton)

I managed to design a pretty decent corssover design (i tried to get the flattest freq response)
Also I designed a suitable vented enclosure for the tcp115. Theoreticaly it should produce 50hz at -3db.

But I really cannot decide what amp i should use. It seems like the class D amps can sometimes have built in audio filters? is that true? maybe all of them do? this confuses me because i tried to design the flattest crossover design i could, just to know that the amp might alter the frequency response in the way that i would not like. i really have no knowledge about theese amps (not a great knowledge in amps in general) so i guess you can understand my confusion.

a single tcp-115 is rated for 40w rms and nominal impedance is around 8 ohms.

Do you have any class D amp reccomendations for this type of setup? budget options are welcome, links appreciated aswell.

Thank you.

Erlas

Do you want the kit to work with battery? If yes, what kind and voltage of battery?

Yes, I'm planning to build a custom lithium battery for this build. The voltage would not be a problem. I was thinking about a 6 series cell setup of 18650 cells, giving me a nominal voltage of around 22.2Volts. But of course I can go higher or lower, should not be a problem.

Erlas

Okay, it's going to be a nice kit. With Dayton 4 "woofers, and a fairly low efficiency, it takes an amplifier with a little power reserve. I would say that the ideal would be between 30-70w. Maybe a TDA7498 or better a TPA3250. There is also the TPA3118 in mono BTL. My first choice would be a TPA3250

Thank you for the reccommendations. I had the TDA7498 in my list of options, but honestly the TPA3250 seems like a much nicer option, but it costs quite a bit more than the tda7498. Ill try looking at some reviews. the more expensive option might be a worthwhile investment