How do Solid State (eg, Polymer) capacitors sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry i cannot offer any advice, but I am curious as well. It would be nice to have a higher quality large value capacitor choice. If I can salvage a solid electrolytic from a computer with high enough voltage tolerance I will give it a shot in my audiosector kit lm4780.

Bateman's "Capacitor Sound" series suggested that polar electrolytic cap nonlinear distortion is dominated by the nolinearity of the thin sponaneous film on the unformed electrode in a ploar electrolytic, he measured much lower distortion in bipolar Al electrolytics which have fully formed oxide layers on both electrodes

since I don't know of any bipolar polymer electrolytics I would venture to say that they are expected to have more distortion than bipolar electros with low impedance coventional electrolytes

Ta electrolytics are much more nonlinear than Al of comparable V rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.