How about this phono idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With volume control added and adjusted for 1V P-P output at 1KHz Sim shows about 0.02% (for whatever that's worth) HD2.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullPre1Vpp3stg.png
    FullPre1Vpp3stg.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 800
  • FullPreResp1Vpp3stg.png
    FullPreResp1Vpp3stg.png
    14 KB · Views: 787
  • FullPreDist1Vpp3stg.png
    FullPreDist1Vpp3stg.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 461
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting design, I'd have some concern about noise injection from the power supply into the RIAA, but since you are using a cascode input your power supply is going to have to be quiet anyway so it might be OK. Depending on the supply impedance you might have some small response deviations as compared to referencing to ground.

Wondering about the grid reference voltage in the upper cascode being connected to the plate. I assume the intent is a little negative feedback at DC to help stabilize the operating point of the upper tube? Might work OK not sure..

Check out the 6S3P/6S4P for the cascode, they are stellar performers.

Have you considered a much higher transconductance triode like the 5842 or 6S3P-EV instead of the 12AX7A in the tone control? OLG will be a few dB less, but the plate resistance will be quite low allowing you to scale the component values in the tone control by about an order of magnitude and reduce self noise due to the high resistance values currently required.

One other thought is that baxandall input impedance varies as a function of tone control position perhaps a buffer between the tone stage and 2nd pre-amplifier stage is worth consideration.

Yeah, I'm a busy body, and just my 2 cents. lol Design should work well exactly as presented.

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
I bought quite a lot of 6F12P 15 years ago at about 1 US$, now they're still nearly same price. Few months ago I post a thread of a home made tube socket adapter so I can plug it in to replace 12AX7. At 1 mA in long tail pairs phase spliter (pentode strapped triode), it sounds very much clearer, better than any other tubes I have. This has allowed me to more closely selected the best sounding tube (ECC99, 6N6, 12BH7, 6H8p etc) in following LTP driver stage. I haven't try at 10mA though.

Last edited:
Here is an idea for a piggyback phono preamp for use in upgrading stereo consoles with modern turntable and MM carts. I am using 12AX7 CC stages to keep current draw from host PS to a minimum. The open loop seemed to have plenty of gain so I put a NF loop on the first stage to improve HD some. The drag on the final stage should not be a problem as most ceramic phono inputs on these consoles are very high Z.

Sim results gain of 38dB@1KHz and 56dB@16Hz (max gain point). HD2=-65dB, HD3 and above all lower than -115dB.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 12AX7_dist.png
    12AX7_dist.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 12AX7Resp.png
    12AX7Resp.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 12AX7Schem.png
    12AX7Schem.png
    52 KB · Views: 340
Sorta. The feedback lowers the source impedance feeding the network, so all the time constants and amplitudes have to be adjusted. He may have done so, I haven't done the calculation, but putting a resistor in series with the cartridge and knocking down the first stage gain are both not positives with respect to noise.

Good points SY. I did calculate the theoretical Zout of the first stage with feedback and included that in the RIAA calculation.

I was under the impression that Zin was still approximately 47K with that feedback setup. My initial design had no FB and a 47K grid leak. Probably best to go back to that. I thought about FB on the second stage but would have to be careful about the drop in Zin loading the RIAA network.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Moving in the right direction..

That series 47K (now deleted) generates orders of magnitude more noise than the source resistance in the cartridge.

Note also that rp varies significantly from tube to tube and over tube life and you want to make the source impedance (rp) a relatively small percentage of the series resistance in the network so that changing/aging tubes does not cause a drastic change in EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.