• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HK cheap SE OTPs...hmmm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

It is hard to judge quality through an advertisement. Personally I would buy something from for example 'ask Jan first' (look for the recent thread): similar prices, lower shipping, no additional taxes and possibly somewhat more experience from the winders.
http://die-wuestens.de/dindex.htm?/atrafo.htm

Edcor also seems great, but I once asked for the European prices and they were twice the US prices. That makes them at least as expensive (or maybe more) than the European counterparts. But that may have changed...

Good luck, Erik

Have you looked at getting Edcor transformers shipped directly from Edcor? US Postal Service do a flat rate box for about $37 US. Last shipment from them I got two of the 15 watt open core transformers as well as two enclosed push pull transformers. You could probably get 6 of the open frame transformers in a box. Phyllis at Edcor will let you know how many you can fit in a box. You might even find some people interested in a mini group buy.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Al
I'm in the middle of my Simple SE build..just finished the chassis. I got the small output Tx direct from Edcor, it was much cheaper than buying them from Edcor in Europe. As they are quite cheap the whole lot didn't get any import added ;) Drop them an e mail. If you look back at the posts of Chris's build there is a lot of useful tips (Thanks Chris!). As I don't really know 100% what I'm doing I chose to slavishly follow where others have gone before. As the Edcor's are a known quantity I'd try them first.
Mike

waam68 said:
Hi Al
I'm in the middle of my Simple SE build..just finished the chassis. I got the small output Tx direct from Edcor, it was much cheaper than buying them from Edcor in Europe. As they are quite cheap the whole lot didn't get any import added ;) Drop them an e mail. If you look back at the posts of Chris's build there is a lot of useful tips (Thanks Chris!). As I don't really know 100% what I'm doing I chose to slavishly follow where others have gone before. As the Edcor's are a known quantity I'd try them first.
Mike

Hi Mike

I might get the transformers from Edcor direct if it’s cheaper then Europe -especially if there would be no import duty on 2 of the small open frame OPTs!

I’m the same – so I’m going to follow what others have done and be wise...what caps are you using? I have been looking around for them too.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone-really appreciate it!:D

Al

I went for path of least resistance & with the £/$ I just put Georges part no's from the purchase price list into the Digikey site & got 90% of the small board parts I needed from there (it was taking a while trying to find exact matches in the uk). There was some shipping to pay but again it went under the import radar...I can't promise that will happen ...maybe I was just lucky!The Power TX (Hammond), choke, chassis, wire, nuts & bolts I got from Bluebell Audio up in scotland (very helpful). Valves were bought quite cheaply off ebay (EL34's & some others). Valve sockets from the states as they were cheaper ... Tubeman from memory..& the big supplemental cap from ebay following the link Chris posted. It took me a while to source the parts & even longer to get up the courage to start building it. Maplin are handy for connectors, knobs & switches if you have one local.

Good to see that there is interest in the Tubelab project. I think I was one of the early builders, glad that my posts have been some help to others. I really think that the work that George has done is great to get beginners in to the hobby of building tube amps. After building the SimpleSE last year, I have built two successful point to point amps, one single ended and one push pull. Gathering parts now to start a "Baby Huey" push pull EL84.

Thanks TubeLab and Edcor!

That's nice news on the shipment policy of Edcor! Simple post service has less chance of being charged import duties (contrary to carriers as UPS or Fedex) and if they do it won't be much, as the trafo's are cheap anyway. I will order some of their interstages (to use at the input of the power amps) and a pair of 15W SE output's.

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.