Having trouble with digital pot (DS1803-100)

Hy,
I`m having trouble with digital pot DS1803-100

I connected Input to HIGH, Output to WIPER and Ground to LOW.

From amplifier I have seperated Audio GND.

If I connect GND and Audio GND together to LOW I get sound and it is functional, but if I crank volume past 3/4 on my mobile phone (source)
sound gets distorted and also when I have my pot set to 0 I can hear a bit of distorted sound passing thru pot.

If I connect only GND to LOW I get alot of buzz and potentiometer doesnt work.

If I connect only Audio GND to LOW I can hear a bit of distorted music with alot of buzz and pot works (just a bit, I cant get 100% volume and 0% volume -lets say its about 30 %- 70% range).

Any suggestions?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
connect GND and Audio GND together to LOW I get sound and it is functional, but if I crank volume past 3/4
The datasheet says you can not take any pin below 0.5V of Gnd pin. A loud audio line level peaks past 0.5V. The internal protection diode clips the audio.

This old part "can" work with more circuitry to re-bias the audio or level-shift the digital control. But there are easier-to-use parts today.

The datasheet says you can not take any pin below 0.5V of Gnd pin. A loud audio line level peaks past 0.5V. The internal protection diode clips the audio.

This old part "can" work with more circuitry to re-bias the audio or level-shift the digital control. But there are easier-to-use parts today.
Oh, I was looking at the datasheet, but had missed that... The sad thing is that I have arduino code already finished... but I would rather replace the potentiometer anyways.

Can you recommend me what ic I could use?
I need stereo and control via i2c or uart.

Google search doesnt return much usefull ICs.
If I'm thinking correctly rebiasing audio signal would mean using resistor Lpad at the input and preamp with ne5532 for example at the output. And it could introduce unwanted noise.

Level shifting the digital control would mean decreasing gnd to say -1v, but this would also shift audio gnd to -1v... and I would also have to solve i2c lines...