Haven't Ripped Yet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given an old Toshiba Notebook with Windows XP on it. After getting a USB antenna on it I want to rip CDs and use USB to make the notebook a source. Is there anything I need to do, buy, what ever, to make this work better. I probably will do nothing but rip that will take up memory space with this thing.
I think that only Windows Media Player is on there. This was my father's and he is 85 and can't hear well enough in the midrange to listen to music anymore. Too bad, he loved his hifi and was a DIY guy in the 60s, and early 70s. Had his quadraphonic.
Any way I need advice on what to do. I might not need my ifi IDAC since it looks like I can plug into my BRDP.
So I basically know nothing about this. I am going to ask about the OPPO in another thread.

Thanks,
Thatch

I was given an old Toshiba Notebook with Windows XP on it. After getting a USB antenna on it I want to rip CDs and use USB to make the notebook a source. Is there anything I need to do, buy, what ever, to make this work better. I probably will do nothing but rip that will take up memory space with this thing.
I think that only Windows Media Player is on there. This was my father's and he is 85 and can't hear well enough in the midrange to listen to music anymore. Too bad, he loved his hifi and was a DIY guy in the 60s, and early 70s. Had his quadraphonic.
Any way I need advice on what to do. I might not need my ifi IDAC since it looks like I can plug into my BRDP.
So I basically know nothing about this. I am going to ask about the OPPO in another thread.

Thanks,
Thatch
If the music is only for your hearing impaired father, you could rip the CDs to MP3 with a high amount of compression, e.g. less than 128kB/s. This will predominantly have the effect of less highs, and other masking will be increased, but someone with poor hearing will really not miss it. At bitrates below 100kB/s you might want to rip to AAC:
AAC: MainConcept

I think that this was the kind of information you were asking for...

For myself

I want to use this for myself. I just have never done it before and do not know what I am doing. I ripped a CD and the laptop told me that it had to be able to connect to the internet to be able to show the information about the disc. So I bought an antenna that plugs into a USB port.
I am asking if there is something I should buy and download onto the laptop to make for better ripping, and or playback of the ripped discs.
I was rambling a bit about my father who gave me the laptop. I have thought about this for quite a while, but didn't want to put my PC in the living room where the audio gear is. The lap top will allow me the ability to hook it up when I want and leave it out of site when it is not being used. Since I have a tablet that gives me internet access I plan on using this laptop only for audio. Unfortunately the operating system is XP and there is less you can do to set it up.I want to know if there is anything I can download to make this process better. I am very ignorant about computers and new technology in general. Most grade school kids know way more than me. I tend to learn something when I need it. I haven't needed to know this until now.

Thanks,
Thatch

i think i get what you want to do. use the laptop as a music player plugged into your hifi.

to start off with the sound card on your laptop will be rubbish and when plugged into your hifi will sound pretty poor so you might want to look at upgrading that to a nice plug in USB one.

as for ripping cd's there are tons of apps out there that will let you do such a thing. one of the easiest to use is Audiograbber but it does not have such things as albumart.

for high quality sound you need to rip to flac or WMA, forget about MP3 thats for portable players such as ipods etc.etc

next up is storage so get yourself a nice big 'desktop' self powered USB harddrive and rip all your music onto that.

How many music CDs can I store on a gig? I thought I could store a fair library on the laptop itself, download thumb drives to take with me to listening sessions since not everybody uses a disc player anymore (at least not at THE Show).
So I should put a physical sound card in the laptop? I will be using USB and exporting the digital to a DAC in my system. Hopefully I will be able to hook right up to my OPPO and use it's DACs and have it in the system that way. The active crossover has analog inputs and only one pair of inputs so using my USB DAC and the OPPO would be difficult. I do have an Emotiva UMC 200 sound processor and I could connect to the OPPO with HDMI. So in a round about way I can use the player and the USB DAC.

Would a physical Sound Card make for better ripping? Should I put it in my PC, rip onto that and transfer the data to the laptop with a USB? Nothing good is easy.
Thanks Guys!
Thatch

Let's say 400 MB per album including par2. That's about 2.5 CDs per gig.

Just use your CD drive to rip, no sound card needed for that.

So you want to:
-Output from USB to DAC -- no sound card needed

And some other options. Could you enumerate the other signal path choices you are considering? Are you trying to do 7.1 or 5.1 or just stereo? Which USB DAC and OPPO do you have?

Also what is your amplifier/speaker setup

Last edited:
your OPPO is a 'stand alone player' not a DAC so forget about using it as such. you cant hook your computer up to your OPPO it does not work like that. you need to plug storage into the OPPO's USB port that contains the music files you want to play. you then use the OPPO remote/tv screen to brows for the files using the built in OS on the OPPO.

you rip the music off the CD's onto your storage (a desktop portable self powered USB harddrive) using your laptop (dont need a fancy sound card as your just copying the 1's and 0's). you then unplug the portable harddrive and plug it into the OPPO. you cant plug your laptop into the OPPO so forget about doing that. you cant use the OPPO as a stand alone DAC to plug into your laptop so forget about that also.

the only way you can plug an OPPO into a computer is to use a AV amplifier in the middle then use the switching inside the av amp to direct the signals to the OPPO the OPPO then decodes the signals and then sends it back out to the amplifier but you would need a top flight AV amp with very sophisticated switching.

your OPPO is a CD/DVD/BR player with added features such as playing files from USB drives so forget about using it as anything else.

why do i know this... i have an OPPO BDP93

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.