Have you tried this Kaminsky crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across the following crossover network in an old magazine.
This is a series network with modified Butterworth characteristics. The article claims that this configuration has all the desirable characteristics that an audiophile can dream of -- constant load, no phase shift etc.. :

The table attached to this article gives L and C values for various crossover frequencies from a 1971 article from Journal of Audio Engineering. For 500 and 5000Hz the values for L and C are 1.31 and 79.3 and .31 and 7.9.

Now my question is, if this configuration has all these advantages, why is this not popular as the "k" derived parallell configuration widely used commercially.

Has anyone in the forum tried this configuration? Please share your experience and opinion.

Attachments

• xx.png
    xx.png
    1 KB · Views: 158
Speaking of series crossover....

You can also check this out:
http://www.acoustic-reality.com/ar-sxo.htm

I read a website explaining why series xo is not so popular (forgot the url, though). It says that there is a "conspiracy" in audio industry not to use series xo (according to the writer's opinion). Reason:

1. SXO requires less component, so that DIY supplier cannot gain much from sxo.
2. A skeptic mind about changing the habit of using parallel xo to sxo.
3. bla, bla, bla...

But IMO, the main reason, may be because it's hard to predict the crossover freq. If you look at the website above, the method of designing the xo is "by ear," .... trial and error (the website gives some guidelines, though).

I'd like to give it a shot some day....

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.