Have a plunge router...now what do I need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a Dayton pre made cabinet for my center channel. All I need to do is drill the circles for the mids and tweeter. I have read a lot about how a plunge router is the best way of going upon this, so I bought one this weekend for $40. I'm only going to use it for this center channel, and sometime down the road for my two rears. I didnt' need to spend between $100-200.

anyways, now that I have the router, what do I need now? Do i absolutely need a Jasper circle jig? What kind of bit do I use?

any help would be very appreciated. thanks!

Jasper jigs make the whole ordeal a lot easier, they're already set up in 1/16" increments, all you need to do is bolt it onto the base and go for it.

You want a straight cutting bit, and if you want to flush the drivers to the baffle, a rabbiting bit.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
PoorSound said:
Do I have any other options?

Not much of a problem to make a circle guide. This being a DIY site, it's kinda appropriate.

I use the router (with a straight cutting bit) to cut the driver recess. I cut the hole for the driver with a jigsaw. Faster, cheaper (no burned out router bits) and a lot less dust.

PoorSound said:
anyways, now that I have the router, what do I need now? Do i absolutely need a Jasper circle jig?

It takes about fifteen minutes to make a circle jig out of a 1/4" plywood scrap and under 60 seconds to add a new radius. Draw a few radiuses from the center of your router before you drill out the center hole and pick a different one when your pivot holes would over-lap.

You can have any size you want (I built a 12' jig) with increments finer than the jasper jig's

What kind of bit do I use?

Spiral up-cut if you're going to veneer later for better chip extraction. Spiral down-cut when you need to prevent tear-out (make multiple shallow passes). Straight bits for cutting rabbets.

Jasper makes good jigs as long as the base plate fits your plunge router.

The 1/16th inch resolution is generally good enough, but I've found a few drivers and cases where it wasn't.

The hole created by a router can be much prettier than a jig saw cut. But then who cares, you aren't going to see the fine imperfections and you can always sand them smooth.

I still like to go almost all the way through with the router for the final pass.

PoorSound said:
I bought a Dayton pre made cabinet for my center channel. All I need to do is drill the circles for the mids and tweeter. I have read a lot about how a plunge router is the best way of going upon this, so I bought one this weekend for $40. I'm only going to use it for this center channel, and sometime down the road for my two rears. I didnt' need to spend between $100-200.

anyways, now that I have the router, what do I need now? Do i absolutely need a Jasper circle jig? What kind of bit do I use?

any help would be very appreciated. thanks!

Where in G-d's name did you get one for just $40? :xeye: :bigeyes:

Daveis said:
Jasper makes good jigs as long as the base plate fits your plunge router.

The 1/16th inch resolution is generally good enough, but I've found a few drivers and cases where it wasn't.

The hole created by a router can be much prettier than a jig saw cut. But then who cares, you aren't going to see the fine imperfections and you can always sand them smooth.

I still like to go almost all the way through with the router for the final pass.

My problem with the Jasper jig is that it requires you to use a 1/4" cutting bit(not the shank), to make all those cuts work properly. And since I always use a 3/4" bit I ocassionally forget and then make a total mess. you would think I would learn my lesson but I don't. Must be getting old.

I have no idea as to why they think we will use such a small bit. It's just not logical IMO.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.