Has anybody used the TLC07x series op amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am always building various custom line level filters and tone controls. It is often convenient to use inexpensive "wall warts" or cheap laptop power supplies (electronic recycling dumpsters are full of them) to make a very compact line level circuit. I have been using 5532s and various configurations but recently I came across the TLC07x series amplifiers; which claim wider bandwidth, faster slew rate, increased output current capability, and lower input bias current, over the older but enormously popular TL07x series op amps.

Now the TL07x series op amps have obvious advantages over the 5532 for single ended and battery operated applications. They work better in some of my circuits than the 5532 and it's directly related to the input bias current. There are solutions but they stray from the KISS principle.

So if anybody would like to share any experience with or comments about this device, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc070a.pdf

The TL072 is very popular amongst major manufacturers as a front end amplifier as it is HET input. The TL062 is better for battery power and single supply as it works down to 3Volts at hardly any quiescent current.
The slew rate doesn't matter in audio pre-amps as like a uA741 having 1V/Sec and if the output voltage is within 1V the frequency response is way above the audio spectrum. The TL series are a lot faster and some DIYers have problems with spurious oscillations caused by the excess speed of the chosen components.

Did you look at the TLC07x series I linked? They are claimed to be an improvement on the older generation TL07x series. And they have a maximum operating voltage of 16 volts, instead of 30 volts like conventional op amps.

5532s have limitations, but they have a real "sweet spot" in some applications too. Some circuits work better with a TL07x device because of its higher input impedance and lower input bias current. 5532 is lower noise and lower distortion. The 5532 was developed for audio circuits and is the choice of many designers for many reasons.

That's why I was asking if anyone has used this newer generation device. On paper it looks great for some of my applications. Single ended supply designs are very convenient for some applications. The TLC07x was designed with this in mind while claiming to offer significant performance improvements over the older generation TL07x series, which I am thoroughly familiar with.

So I will buy a couple with my next order and find out for myself. I will share my observations.

Thanks for commenting.

Looking at the TLC072 datasheet, the max recommended supply voltage is 16v (+/- 8v) which may be a limitation in some situations. Quiescent current is pretty low for battery use. Very good output current. THD figures are not that impressive when compared to the performance audio OP amps.

could be OK

my experience is that they do die from over V supply quite easily - absolutely must pay attention to that spec, design PS so they never see more

I would look for newer generation CMOS op amps, the TLC is OK but newer parts can get even closer to the rails on input and output

and you have to look at the noise graphs if input noise below 100 Hz is important too

Check this Mooly started Op amp shootout (includs the TL072) ,based on listening test of 40 participants:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ever...mate-opamp-shootout-where-you-get-decide.html

I saw that thread a while ago, but never followed it. It is an ingenious test that has to be taken into context.

My takeaway is that if I could build an active circuit without an active element then the largest proportion of the public would find its performance pleasing. :p

Seriously though, I'm not surprised to see the 134 on top. It has been engineered to do all things - high output drive, high input impedance, low input bias current, low noise, etc. It also costs four times what a 5532 costs. I use both devices.

That circuit presents a 600 ohm load. Op amps are usually rated into 600 ohm load, but we all know that some will perform much better into higher impedance loads. I always shoot for 10K load minimum if possible; I rarely go below 4K. I never ask my devices to drive 600 ohms without a buffer.

There's a reason there's so many different op amps - they're all designed to work best in different circuits at different price points. I only keep a few different types in stock and have to have a good reason to add to my inventory.

So thanks to all for commenting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.