• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hagerman Cornet Octal planning help and build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The panels are back from the engraver. I hope to start building this weekend

attachment.php

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 505
Done...almost

It's all together now...time to move on to testing and tweaking.

First impressions with cheap "AD" film capacitors after 5 hours:
Very good extension with no noticeable LF or HF roll-off...maybe a tad bright but not fatiguing. Coherent soundstage with depth as well as width. Sounds a bit more neutral than musical, and a little lacking in detail (due of course to the film caps, not design). Overall pleasing to listen to but will be improved significantly with better caps.

There's a slight 60hz hum from the unit with the inputs shorted and it's the same on both channels, so I'll need to revisit my grounding...

Attachments

• IMG_20160531_144035.jpg
    IMG_20160531_144035.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 299
  • forweb.jpg
    forweb.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20160530_163625.jpg
    IMG_20160530_163625.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20160531_145230.jpg
    IMG_20160531_145230.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 176
Quick update:

I determined the hum was due to leaky tubes and not from wiring. This prompted me to upgrade the tubes to 5691/5692 types and lower the value of R21 to double heater current as per specifications...as a result the preamp ran dead quiet. I say ran because after three weeks of daily use the heater winding cooked. That output was rated for 2A and the circuit was 1.8A...maybe it broke down from inrush. It's back online, but on life support via external power supply. I have a 270DX transformer ordered...hopefully the increased capacity will prevent future failure.

Anyway, the failure coincided with a cap upgrade to the 'user-recommended' bunch of Sonicaps and Mundorf silver in oils, sans the russian teflon bypass caps. The .001uf sonicap was discontinued so I used a RelCap RTE. It's burning in as I type and it sounds VERY good so far.

To finish it off I picked up a "coke bottle" 5Y3

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 118
Update time. After many nights of listening to the Cornet with the sonicap and mundorf caps (and 5691/5692 tubes) I felt that the preamp sounded overall good but at the same time it sounded "digital" or sterile. After some research and some recommendations by friends in the field I decided to try ClarityCap MR's in the signal path, keeping the teflon bypass caps in the output

The first thing I should point out is the MR's are BIG...I had to do some modifications to get everything to fit inside the chassis. I moved the SC platinums to position C7 replacing a Gen 1. After 4 days of burn-in I gave them a listen.

Claritycap MR first impressions:
I actually said "wow" out loud in an empty room. The clarity caps seem to resolve a level of detail unattained by the previous capacitor compliment. Instruments have more "acoustic space" and I feel that placement depth is much better defined. More listening needed but I really like them so far...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0904161002d.jpg
    0904161002d.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 0904161011c.jpg
    0904161011c.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 375
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.