Fusing and Mains inlet impedance / noise help

Dan K

2013-02-06 11:59 am
I'm experimenting with different case fuses in my ARC LS7 pre and to my surprise replacing the 750mA TD11 fuse with a 10Amp version yields a larger soundstage and a more realistic presentation (to my ears at least)

I'm not prepared to keep using the 10Amp fuse as it's not exactly safe, so what I was thinking was to replace the 750mA fuse with an Airpax circuit breaker...

Does anybody have any experience of swapping fuses for circuit breakers in pre / power amps?

Some preliminary research seems to show that a 'normal' circuit breaker has a much higher impedance than a fuse and should sound worse...however I can now remove the on/off switch so will this result in a net power inlet impedance reduction?

Are thermal breakers better than magnetic?

Many thanks

Dan

Mooly

Administrator
Paid Member
2007-09-15 8:14 am
Breakers often use both magnetic sensing (for serious sudden overload) and thermal (for long term overload where the overload current may be say 30% over the rating)

You can hear a difference... why not get someone else to swap the fuses for you when you are not in the room and see if you can pick the difference out then :)

I'm not saying yay or nay, just that expectation sometimes plays a huge role :D