Full range or mid bass driver for an OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I would like to ask if is better to use a full range driver in a 3 way OB system or a Mid bass unit? The project consists of 2 Eminence Alpha 15a drivers per side for bass and an Infinity EMIT-R tweeter for highs. My concern is to get clarified if a full range will be better suited even if the unit will be bandpassed electronically and used as a midrange in this system or if its better to go with a midbass unit. For full range I have been considering between Markaudio, visaton and Dayton audio. Any help is greately appreciated.

Fullrange drivers are excellent when bandpassed. Just get them to work properly at your desired frequency range. Of the vintage fullrange drivers I have tried they may need some thought to reach down the midbass drivers, but they sound very natural at midrange. I would never kid myself to use one as a tweeter.

Best part of a fullrange as a midrange is that you can use a 1st of 2nd order to reduce high frequency because it is almost as sweat sounding as your tweeter. Downside is that you won't be able to play loud at parties without distortion. Unless you choose a 3rd or 4th order. But at low SPL it sounds very natural with a 1st or 2nd order. I am seriously considering two versions, one party crossover and one wine and cheese night crossover. No compromise! :)

Last edited:
Thank You for the imput. Let's give an idea of what I have and my intentions: This system will be tri-amped and will use a DBX Driverack PA2 with the filters set to L-R48 for each section. I listen to mostly all kind of music...in a 23'x 13.5' room partially treated with acoustical ceilling and a rug covering all the floor and the walls up to 4 feet high from the floor up, no windows. There I will intend to enjoy music, sometimes at normal levels and sometimes I will just open the one door that leads in there and crank it up. The source is a 5TB HDD connected to a mini pc with win 10 and running J. River player, hooked to a SMSL M8 DAC, to the DBX and then to 3 Crown power amps. I cannot get the Jantzens, so any other recommendation besides the Seas? I want it to be at least 6 inches... 8 will be the best option for my system due to the ocasional loud venues at home..again, opinions are truly welcome..

One way to use an active PA crossover is to use it to limit high frequencies from the midbass driver with biamping and then make a passive 2nd order for the midrange and tweeter. If you like to the sound when crossing the tweeter a bit too low you could try 4th order. I find it difficult to make passive crossover for the heavy midbass and my super light midrange and tweeters that sound good. For sub and midbass I use MDF. I just want a solid cabinet. For midrange and tweeters I use thick 2" by 5" pine tree that I glue together. If I can hear the difference what material an electric guitar ia made of my thinking is I will probably hear it in the speakers.

The PVC panels look like they could resonate. Sure they are solid enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.