• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Buffalo DAC w/ Counterpoint project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm selling this assembled Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC with Counterpoint discrete output outstage. I upgraded my transport and no longer want to deal with an external DAC.

Everything within the chassis shown in the picture is included. The signal transformers are for balanced to SE conversion.

The boards are mounted in a 2U rack case. The front panel and handles are removable.

I was planning on adding the MUX input board, the Balsie Light output module (for balanced to SE), and the Controller board for remote operation. You can see that there is plenty of room in the case for additional boards and transformers.

The DAC works properly and sounds great.

Parts for the "VREF Mod" will be included upon request (see the Buffalo thread for details).

Known issues that I have neither the time nor inclination to address:

1. There is a persistent low level hiss/white noise independent of volume.

2. The volumite board is not attached to the front panel (too thick for the nut)

3. The safety ground needs to be attached to the chassis

Guaranteed not DOA. This is a DIY project and therefore no warranty is provided.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME to sell the individual components at this time. I prefer to sell the complete assembly. If there is no interest after a few days I will consider parting it out.

Asking price is $300 plus shipping. PayPal preferred, no additional fees.

If interested please PM me your shipping address and I will provide the shipping cost.

Domestic offers have precedence over international buyers since it is way less hassle.

Note that I will NOT be manning the computer 24x7 so don't panic if I don't respond immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    943.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 217
Very good value.

FWIW, I had a similar issue with hiss but it was down to the wiring between the buffalo and counterpoints (which I was using single ended with a blocking cap - this worked well for me). A bit of rerouting and the hiss was gone. If you trying touching the wires or wiggling them a bit you can see if thats the problem. No turn on thump either with my counterpoints. And thats with horn speakers. Maybe with a high gain amp or something you'd want to watch out.

Fran

The other thing is that there is a turn OFF thump when using the single ended outputs. This is a known "characteristic" of the Counterpoint and TP specifically states that the CP should be used with balanced amps.

I suspect that re-orienting the boards and shortening the connections between the Buffalo and CP boards might improve the situation but I'm not investing any more time in the project.

I'm not expecting any drama, perhaps a bit of comedy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.