Fostex 167E based system complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fostex 167E in a 24L BR enclosure 1.5"Dx1/2" port

Madisound $15 8" sub under each Fostex in a ported enclosure tuned to 38hz

Partsexpress 70w sub amp.

Panasonix SA-XR25 digital reciever mains and sub crosse @100hz

Toshiba DVD player

The setup sounds great for only $500 invested. I am very impressed with the madisound buyout sub.

Initial impression is the Fostex 167E isn't as smooth in the upper midrange as my 127E's. I probably need BSC but am not sure how to do that.

I have a similar setup and am very happy with it. Major difference is that I've got my 167's in a sealed enclosure. I started with BR, but went to sealed and found that limiting the LF response and having the subs come in a bit sooner gave a lot more seperation to instruments, and allowed the 167s to sound much nicer on complex music like classical. I have not experienced the harshness you suggested, but mine have several hundred hours on them.

I am using a powered sub (Adier 12" w/its own amp) so the crossover is in the sub amp. On the 167, I do not use a crossover. Tried high pass, but didn't like the sound. Now I just count on the fact that in the sealed box, it ain't going that low. FWIW, I've tried many full range setups (have 166's in BLH in the other listening room), other BR designs, open baffle, etc, so far, the sealed 167 with a sub tops them all (in my room, tastes, etc)... YMMV. I'll add that I adjust the sub using a Radio Shack SPL meter and a test CD. I adjust so I get flat response down to about 40hz. This requires adjusting both phase and level, as well as crossover point. I'd guess the crossover is about 70hz.

Nice little set up--glad to hear the Madison 8"'s give good bass response.
Do you mind if I ask what the plans on the sealed design for the 167's are? Currently building a BR 15L from the Fostex site (plan on center channel use for HT) but like to do comparisons. Have you heard the 167s in MLTL with BSC circuit.
as an aside--what do you think about the digital Panasonic receiver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.