FM transmission Standards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a question regarding FM radio transmission standards. Recently, I took my Magnum Dynalab FT101 Etude tuner (purchased in Canada) to Europe (France). Aside from the obvious ps voltage issue (I use a step down autotransformer), are there any differences between North American and European FM transmission standards? My tuner sounds terrible here - on par with my 4 year olds toy radio.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

Welcome to France and its wonderful radio world :)

Well, I think your main problem is de-emphasis. The broadcasts are made with pre-emphasis, which is a technique to improve high frequency S/N ratio. And your tuner has to do the inverse job. Nice thing about standards is that they are no standard ;) In USA/Canada, pre/de-emphasis uses a 75 us (microsecond) curve, and in Europe, we use 50 us.

So, check inside your tuner. I dunno for Dynalab, but there must be a little switch, either labelled USA/Europe or 75/50. If not, try to write down all the IC references that you will find inside, and post'em. Will try to look for some informations.

Hope this helps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.