ff85k or other small driverfor a 2-way system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to make a samll two way system using a ss 8545k (that i allready have) and crossing over to a ff85k (the ff85k would be modified) some where in the 500- 800hz region.
I´ve been thinking of other drivers such as jordans jxr6hd but its 4ohm and my bass driver is a 8ohm driver.
On the other hand I could go active using the jordan driver if it would mate better with the ss driver and is a better driver then the fostex unit.
Other drivers in mind ar also:
-veravox 3
-fe108ez
-Peerless FR2 (have not heard anything about theme)
-Peerless FR3 (have not heard anything about theme)
-Vifa 9BGS119/8
-tangband bamboo

other sudgestions are more then wellcome, since I am not convinced about the ff85k yet.
If the drivers is a little bit pricy dosn´t matter as long as it´s not manger pricy.
Hope some one can help me out here.

Pepe said:
I want to make a samll two way system using a ss 8545k (that i allready have) and crossing over to a ff85k (the ff85k would be modified) some where in the 500- 800hz region.
other sudgestions are more then wellcome, since I am not convinced about the ff85k yet.
Could you tell what is not convincing with the FF85K? Did you already try it with a high cross over?
IOther drivers in mind ar also:
-veravox 3
-fe108ez
-Peerless FR2 (have not heard anything about theme)
-Peerless FR3 (have not heard anything about theme)
-Vifa 9BGS119/8
-tangband bamboo
I could compare the veravox and the FF85K. The veravox is much less efficient, but is capable of more bass (within the limits of a 3" driver). Bass will be no issue when crossing high. The veravox should be used with both recommended notch filters and is a nice driver then. But in the highest registers I liked the Fostex still more.

Thank you very much for the replies.
I have been away traveling and will have to go away soon again so it seems like i have to forward my plans a little bit.
But I´m almost convinced about the ff85k now and I will probably cross it lower also like planet10 ;) I listned to a jordan vtl speaker and I liked it alot but not anough to live with it had some laz bass performance i like it tighter, mabye this lazy bass was because of the crapy sherwood amp used i didnt like anything played with it neither a monitor using ss8545 and a ss tweeter (mids sucked!) better bass and highs though but not nice over all.
What kind of mods did you (planet10) do to the ff85k and will it play in your onken boxes when crossed to css unit?
Perhaps I find some interesting drivers in thailand on my trip if not al stick to the ff85k (it´s cheap so i´ll get it any way i think)
Thanks a lot

My current idea is to try mating the FF85k on an open baffle, crossed at 500-700Hz to a well-behaved 12" in a sealed box, with a simple first order series XO. Nice thing about the series XO is that it effectively makes the impedance peak of the fostex irrelevant. 500-700Hz is for power handling, if you don't need the 'juice', you can lower the XO, but with the fostex being as extended as it is, you want to keep the cone excursion as low as possible to prevent modulation of the high frequencies.

KISS 2 way :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pepe said:
What kind of mods did you (planet10) do to the ff85k and will it play in your onken boxes when crossed to css unit?

cone treatment (including EnABL), basket stiffening & damping and pair matching.

I sure hope the µFonken plays well with the SDX7 -- still working on XO, but sounds promising.

(i do have to damp the TV stand -- it is easy to get it rattling)

dave

Attachments

• ufonken-woof-proto.jpg
    ufonken-woof-proto.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 517
Man! Ideas like these keep occurring to me as well. Particularly the open back / open baffle concept.

People work hard to get open baffles that will extend bass down as low as possible. How hard is it to get 2 or 3 hundred hz?

And would I want a low order cross at a high frequency, or a higher order cross at a lower point?

Would you want to set up an asymetric electrical crossover and match it with the acoustic rolloff of the OB, or design the OB rolloff low enough that it can be ignored in the crossover? Can you work the baffle step = the crossover point?

Does one need to pay attention to the different radiation patterns of the drivers?

Obviously, I haven't developed my thoughts very far on this one, so I'll be watching the developments on this thread. Cool!

Any one knows anything about Fostex mg850 (magnesium cones)
and fe88es-r (paper cone :) )
tangband W3-1285SG (titanium cone, aperently very nice as tweeter, AUDIOMANUFACTURE ULTIMATE GRADE MUSICAL PLAYBACK INSTRUMENTS AND RECORDINGS the SLS speaker uses thees ones i think)
would any of thees outperform the ff85k as mid tweet?

I couldnt say which would be superior as i havent had the pleasure of listening to all of these drivers.

But, i would say the TB's are pretty damned good, and Ive been listening to them A/B with some alpair5 greys. In my rough running in boxes(non optimal for either driver), ive found that the TB's stand up well to the Alpairs. the 0.4mm stated Xmax is tiny, and perhaps comparable to the fostex i would imagine, but in the w3-1285sg the 'physical' xmax is much greater. whether this actually translates to lower distortion, i dont know for sure. the Alpairs also have fairly good excursion.

The tangband has a rising response in the upper octave, but one that may just be rectified with a low pass 6/12 dB, the rest of the passband is very smooth. Even SOME bass surprisingly, though the TS of the Mark audio drivers and fostex may be better in the bass dept.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.