Enclosure suggestion for super 8 rs/dd please...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thks GM
I would go for what you have suggested, but was wondering how high would you recommend the spike feet? Since placing the port on the bottom.
If I used the 3" diameter, how long would it needs to be?
Like most coax driver, HF beaming could be very harsh, would it be a good idea to slightly tilt the front baffle a bit? (how much degree tilted?) Speakers will be place about 2.5m apart and seating at 3.5m, 18inches from the wall... If that's any help.

You’re welcome!

3” dia. vent? 5” is minimum.

Anyway, it’s more about how big the base area of the speaker is since the ‘vent’ opening is the gap between the floor and the speaker’s base perimeter, so the bigger the base area, the less gap required, but if you want it based just on the vent size, then ~3” for a 5”.

Normally, speakers are toe’d in to compensate for HF beaming, usually crossing in front of the ‘sweet spot’ with the angle found empirically.

WRT tilting the baffle, you’re just doing toe-in in the vertical plane, so it too would need to be found empirically.

GM

IE a driver firing straight up, probably put all the way into a corner to get loading and to gently and efficiently reflect HF off the walls into the room.
For that cardboard tubes would be very well suited. Maybe one inside another to increase the length (organ pipes were once made this way, and out of strong cardboard too).

For the leaky surround, a thin layer of damar would be the obvious answer.

Yes, these can work well, though his needs at least a 15" diameter tube, so would have to buy two 16", which around here is pretty expensive, though thick enough to not need any major bracing.

FWIW, my obvious answer would be the doping compound used to seal high compliance cloth surrounds: Acoustic Research Cloth Surround Woofers Sealant Kit Also KLH | eBay

I too am curious about using Dammar for this though. The Dammar I spray on diaphragms would have to be thinned too much to allow the surround to flex properly, so have to wonder how well it would seal.

GM

I'm sorry, my experience with dammar is limited to treating a few papercones and for applying to watercolour paintings to fix them.
My experience is that while the dammar oxidizes to get pretty hard, the paper it was applied to still remains very flexible. Just as flexible as the treated cloth surrounds I've touched.
But when there is a dedicated product sold, as GM links to I'd of course use that.

I continue to rely on waterborne urethane sealant, slightly thinned. No hardening.
In other news, I've just tried brake fluid on a hardened surround and so far it would appear that it works. This is on a yellow fabric half roll surround from a RS 10" woofer. Next the Akai 6" fr pair. I like getting results from stuff I already have.

Last edited:
Hi sagamoto
try a karlson enclosure the 8" works in the !2' enclosure. If this box is too big then reduce
the size to suit the 8". It is a tricky box to build you need some woodworking skills.
The result is nice. I build a pair of them as far back as the early seventies and left it to
my brother in law when I migrated.He went trough three amplifiers but still kept the old speakers. they were simply to good to ditch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.