• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Enclosure for PA.

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for a bit of advise.

Looking for a valve amp enclosure 8 x 6550 + 2*1650T hammond output transformer + 372LX power transformer - so quite big. Last amp I used a black 2u hammond 19 inch rack (black) which I just some re-enforcing bars in the support the transformers. Looks quite industrial. Any advice on something a bit more up market - black maybe brushed aluminium on the front. I am happy to drill all the holes but don't have the equipment to make this sort of case from scratch.

Any suggestions/photos welcome.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Modushop.biz (Hi-Fi 2000) "Pesante" with 10mm front panel is a good option. Maximum depth is 400mm. The galaxy series is also good but smaller. The aluminium front panel does have a nice finish and there are several accessories: the inner baseplate is quite useful on some instances, and the handles are also good looking. The steel top cover thickness is 1mm. I use Hi-Fi 2000 enclosoures since the late '80 for my amplifiers. There are better options, but they cost a lot more. Be sure to check shipping expenses to your location.
I build my own with minimal tools (though it can take a long time), IE angle grinder, files, old drill etc. I use 2mm ali sheet for the top with wood sides. Check around locally to see if there's a joinery or similar who can help, there is also usually a bloke in shed nearby with a workshop, check modellers clubs. You can use FR2 copper clad board to build a chassis too, easy to join by soldering, same applies for steel sheet.

I can cut you a piece of ali sheet if needed, drop us a PM if interested.

Good luck, Andy
That's really very kind of you. I going to go with a hammond 1u high rack RMCS190113BK1. It will be tight! The driver part is on fr4 stripboard with the valves on one side and the other bits on the other. I have removed alternate strips where the volts are more than 100V between. The main tubes I can point wire.
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.