Edgar Horns, caos, passive crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a pair of Edgar Horn’s. I don’t understand a lot about them. They do not have a crossover, only driver connected to caps. The previous owner installed a tweeter on top, they are not the Fostex T500 that are usually recommended, they are directly connected to the binding posts of the cabinet below them.

Should I add a cap to the tweeters? Would they sound better with a crossover?

Thanks for any help!?

Photos

I can upload better ones tomorrow, but that’s what I have right now. I will open up the cabinets to get the driver models.

Attachments

• 37A56197-41AA-412A-A3AB-2B355DA35479.jpg
    37A56197-41AA-412A-A3AB-2B355DA35479.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 9173E959-4D44-48BD-A2D8-01D146867389.jpg
    9173E959-4D44-48BD-A2D8-01D146867389.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 159
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those are very nice horns. You are in for a treat in sound and super high sensitivity.

I would recommend getting a miniDSP and several smaller amps to run active. That’s the most economical and easiest way to get started without becoming an expert at XO design.

Since they are so sensitive - three sets of 50w Class D amps will work just fine and not cost much.

Depending on the drivers installed in them...

The woofer needs a low pass probably under 250Hz. The mid I would say goes from 250Hz to 6kHz, then tweeter above that. Try to use shallow crossovers. Or use the Harsch XO in DSP.

Get a measurement microphone. MiniDSP 8ch. Three TPA3116 amps. If you have nice Class AB or Class A amp already - use that for the mid horn where most important range for vocal and piano clarity. A small Class AB gain clone on top is good. Or even the TDA8932 is good. And a Class D for woofer.

Have fun!

I agree with X. Anymore, when I'm into a new build, I use a MiniDSP and have many amps to drive each driver. I play with the crossover points with both my ears and a mic until I find the right crossover points. Then I build a crossover to match.

You are in for a surprise when you get it right. Those would be considered your last set of speakers.....unless you are like me and just like to play.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.