Easy SOIC to DIP socket

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the THS 4032 for some time but having difficulty due to it is SOIC.
2 days ago I decided to get it done, and found that if I pull the pin slowly, and fit under(below) the typical DIP socket, the pin 2,3 6, and 7 cud just reach the DIP pins.
So I solder those pins directly, and solder pins 1,4 5 and 8 with a think single core cable.
Well, some adjustment the clear the pins length is needed as I plug this socket with SOIC op amp into another DIP socket to try the sound.
I find the THS 4032 to sound great, better ten 2134, 5532, 5534.

So here is my 2 cents...

rgds

WLee

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
wleediy said:
I have the THS 4032 for some time but having difficulty due to it is SOIC.
2 days ago I decided to get it done, and found that if I pull the pin slowly, and fit under(below) the typical DIP socket, the pin 2,3 6, and 7 cud just reach the DIP pins.
So I solder those pins directly, and solder pins 1,4 5 and 8 with a think single core cable.
Well, some adjustment the clear the pins length is needed as I plug this socket with SOIC op amp into another DIP socket to try the sound.
I find the THS 4032 to sound great, better ten 2134, 5532, 5534.

So here is my 2 cents...

rgds

WLee

.... picture?

Jan Didden

SOIC to DIP step by step photo1

Flatten the pin of the SOIC and place it below the socket. Wathc for the correct pins orientation... I did it wrong way the first time, being too excited and careless..!

Attachments

• soic placed below the dip socket.jpg
    soic placed below the dip socket.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 442
Convert to DIP step 2

As we will place the SOIC just to rest below the DIP socket, Pin 2,3,6,and 7 have to be pointing up a bit so that the SOIC body is deeper into the body of the DIP socket. Place the SOIC on a table top and press the Pins 2,3,6,7 down till it is at the table level...

Attachments

• soic pressed pin 2,3,6, and 7 lower.jpg
    soic pressed pin 2,3,6, and 7 lower.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 351
Soldering the pins carefully

I fixed the DIP socket using the masking tape on a table top. Place a small piece of masking tape to cover the centre sq hole of the socket so that the SOIC will stay flat. Solder one of the pin 2, 3, 6, or 7 first, then do the fine tuning adjustment while soldering another pin out of the pin 2, 3, 6, or 7. Preferably the opposite side. For example, if we solder pin 2 first, then next solder pin 6. Adjust the position of teh SOIC by fine tuning the soldering of this 2 pins. When it is doen nicely, the rest will fit nicely....
Pin 1, 4, 5, and 8 need to solder a thin cable to connect to the socket... here how I did it in the photo.

Attachments

• soldering the pins....jpg
    soldering the pins....jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 389
Done and inspect

Ok, so all the pins are soldered. We need to check the soldering points quality. USe a meter to check for connectivity and if any short circuit between the nearby pins.

Attachments

• done and check all the contact points by meter.jpg
    done and check all the contact points by meter.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 364
Check also if it could plug in to...

Well, I would plug the socket into another socket, then check by meter again all the contact points to make sure....!
When this is ok, we have a DIP op amp!

Do enjoy and tell me your story and if any one bother to compare if same op amp with SOIC will sound better then a DIP op amp.

William Lee

Attachments

• plug into another socket to check for tight contact when being used.jpg
    plug into another socket to check for tight contact when being used.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 342
SOIC soldering

Next I will try to solder SOIC into the PIN curcuit board, this will be fun and I am sure the sound will be better. I hope to compare the sound of SOIC vs DIP, but the only op amp I have on both formats are 2134 and 134, well, may be it's not worth trying!

William Lee

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.