Drivers exposed to questionable environment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Until I get the time and money to put in a horn sub I was considering installing an infinite baffle sub. My concern is that the rear of the speaker will be in an unheated garage exposed to extremes of temperature and humidity. It is a paper cone organ speaker with a pleated surround so it may be sturdy enough for that application but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good driver.

Would you be concerned about operating a speaker in that environment? Should I build a really large box to protect it?

mike

mashaffer said:
Would you be concerned about operating a speaker in that environment? Should I build a really large box to protect it?

No, an unheated garage isn't too harsh of a environment.

BUT, if your garage is in any way like mine, the chance of something leaned against a wall falling over and damaging the driver is possible, so I would build a protective, open cage around the back of if for that reason. Something simple will do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.