Dodgiest test speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,
check out my new semi-open baffle, inertly damped, time-aligned speaker...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:D

I'm having a go at making some PC speakers (only cr@p headphones at the moment). When the drivers arrived, I couldn't help myself. I had to hear SOMETHING.
So I chucked a couple of caps on the tweeter to start rolling off where the woofer starts breaking up, and viola!
Suprisingly good. I mean, it's pretty bad -tweeter is ~5dB louder- but still way better than your average PC sound.

Gotta get them in some boxes now.

Anyone else just HAVE to hear stuff when they get parts and jerry-rig something truly awful? :smash:

Mark

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Bikeman said:
Hey,
check out my new semi-open baffle, inertly damped, time-aligned speaker...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:D

I'm having a go at making some PC speakers (only cr@p headphones at the moment). When the drivers arrived, I couldn't help myself. I had to hear SOMETHING.
So I chucked a couple of caps on the tweeter to start rolling off where the woofer starts breaking up, and viola!
Suprisingly good. I mean, it's pretty bad -tweeter is ~5dB louder- but still way better than your average PC sound.

Gotta get them in some boxes now.

Anyone else just HAVE to hear stuff when the get it and jerry-rig something truly awful? :smash:

Mark

You've got to start somewhere and a cardboard box is as good as anything else.

I know I nearly always test any speakers that I have on a test baffle, meaning I don't necessarily go to the trouble of building a full test box.

Also have you tried selling those for around $7,000? I'm sure you'd get some stupid college kid to buy them. :D

Heh, a can of matte black paint and they'd just about pass as the latest boutique wunder speaker. :D

My greatest problem is finding decent coils in Aus. The range really sucks. :dead: I think I'll see if I can get some magnet wire and wind my own.
Add a chipamp and I should be rocking. :cool:

Mark

I don't know if I can beat the Canon cardboard box enclosure, but when I first wanted to test my drivers out I stuck the bass in a garbage can. Since I couldn't wait for the nice crossover parts to arrive in the mail I hand-wound my own inductor too.

Bikeman, is that an Audax AM100G2 you're using there? Got my eye on it and will be interested to how your project goes if it is.

I love the box! Slightly classier than my first speaker attempt, if only because of the stylish cushion. These days when I simply HAVE to hear a new driver ASAP I wire it up in its own box, or just place it in the corner of the room for a bit of bass loading. :cool:

ahasz, I love the workshop source and amp to match the trash can! No disrespect and all, but I hope that's not what you were planning on ultimately mating those fine woofers with. :)

Noksukau, yep it's the Audax on sale at Madisound. I've been after a nice small shielded driver for a while and this seemed to fit the bill.
I was a bit concerned about the low sensitivity, but I don't plan on running ear bleeding volumes so it should be fine.

Hehe, the cushion wasn't just for style. The box was so flimsy that it would have collapsed from the weight of the two almighty drivers if the cushion hadn't been propping up the back. (Yes I grabbed whatever was handy) My partner gave me The Look when she got home... ;)

ahasz, that is just how I imagine my workshop will look when I finally get one.

Cheers,

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.