Do piezo tweeters sound worse?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess some have noticed I'll get an idea on the brain and worry it to death. Sorry. :headbash:

Is there some inherent reason piezo tweeters are considered to sound worse than other tweeter types? I've seen several sources that give suggestions in improving their sound, but no real info other than poor attention to how they're used to suggest why they might sound worse than other types. At least in theory I see no reason they shouldn't sound as good, and in some cases even better. On paper, they look great for use as supertweeters (which is how I got interested in the first place).

I was able to track down some frequency response curves for the old CTS designs - they look actually pretty good. I'm thinking if I could find a design for something like a Zobel to tame the rising response (above about 27KHz) so I don't annoy the dogs too much I'll be in business.:D

Last edited:
One of the reasons that Piezos have a lousy reputation is that they're often used in poorly integrated systems. The "Orange Juice Squeezer" type is often crossed over far too low in frequency to have any chance of sounding good. Unfortunately, they are often touted as not needing a crossover, which really isn't he case, if quality sound is the goal. There are also modifications that will improve upon the sound of a stock piezo.

Here's Jeff's... umm, ah... I mean Godzilla's take on Piezo mods:

http://www.zillaaudio.com/piezo.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I once had a pair of the motorola KSN "juice squeezers". Quite good, compared to my dome tweeter sound is clean and uncoloured but a little too
"clinical" for me. Compared to a decent compression driver / horn they are no match. Dynamics are somewhat lacking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.