• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY valve integrated?

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all!

My current system consists of
* Garrard 401 turntable + Grado Gold cartr.on a Ortofon arm.
* Quad 77 CD player
* Audio Note Oto SE integ.
* Sequerra Met 7.7 speakers.

The problem is: After years of listening to music on this system -and after tweaking the OTO- I feel not being involved nor "emotionated" by its sound. I'm listening to the electronics rather than music. I just need a sweet and musical sound.

Anyone knows of some DIY integrated valve like vhich would provide firm bass and sweet mids-treble?

I was told that the same amp (or speaker) made by a DIYist doesn't sond as if it was manufactured at origin...


Jordi Milia
There was a thread not long ago about tube integrated amps. Look back and see what was said there. You'll have a hard time finding schematics for integrated amps, but it's not at all difficult to locate small tube amps and simple preamp circuits and combine them into one chassis with a volume knob and whatever other odds and ends you may want.
Assuming that you want a smallish amp for those Sequerra speakers, I'd say to look for amps using 6BQ5s or 6V6s. That most recent integrated amp thread should be right up your alley, as it was oriented towards small integrated amps also.

A very nice circuit that is easy to get since it has been in print for 50 years is the Mullard 3.3. There is a transformer winder in England that makes the transformers for this amp and they are of high quality and medium price. Go to <www.audioreview.com> and look under tube amps in the Ms for Mullard and there is a review written buy a consumer/listener. I have heard the same(proto types made by the winder) amps with a volume control on them and got goose bumps. If you go all out with good wire,caps, add a choke and other tweaks you should be able to build a pair for around $600 to $700 U.S. Using regular parts $500. This is for a pair of mono blocks and the drivers are EF86s which are sweet indeed. Also the power transformers are made to isolate so you will loose a lot of that background electrical noise.
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.