DIY DAC

rsthomas

2016-04-23 2:40 pm
Hi,

I am pretty new to diy electronics. Recently bought a DAC board from ebay. Obviously I didnt think it through to buy the power supply transformer. It requires a 15v-0-15v and 0-9v transformer. Found one on ebay (115V 230V 30W High Quality Audio R Core Transformer 15V 15V 9V 9V for Preamp | eBay). I have a lot of questions and I am sure you guys could be of great help here.

1. Not sure about the wiring aspects. which wire from this transformer goes where ?
2. Any idea what exactly is that ( circled in red ) on pic 1613 it says XMOS.
3. Is it worth using an enclosure ? I was planning to, but as I look at the board, the LEDs are all built into the board. If i were to do an enclosure, I want the LED indicators on the front pannel ( for eg. coax, usb, toslink etc ).

Attachments

• IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 504

rsthomas

Thanks

Thanks. Attached is the pic of the transformer. After reading further I think I need to do the following combination

15v-0-15v : YEL - YEL+BRWN - YEL
9v : BLUE - BLUE

Then keep the WHITE away.

Any idea how and which wire to ground ? is that the BLACK ?

Thanks for the help in advance

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 433

ozcal

2008-06-22 6:18 am
Thanks. Attached is the pic of the transformer. After reading further I think I need to do the following combination

yellow /green is ground : connect to earth on mains recepticle
Black and green are AC, if your country is 115v mains supply , Black and red if your country is 230v.

ozcal

2008-06-22 6:18 am

15-0-15 should be Y- Y+B -B . Test with multimeter connected to single Y AND SINGLE B you should read 30v if you get 0v change the Y and B that are connected together.
Follow Groundloops suggested reading to get safe understanding of what you are doing : always very wise when playing with mains voltages.

02GF74

2010-07-13 1:38 pm
Hi,

3. Is it worth using an enclosure ? I was planning to, but as I look at the board, the LEDs are all built into the board. If i were to do an enclosure, I want the LED indicators on the front pannel ( for eg. coax, usb, toslink etc ).

I would put the board and transformer in a box.
You would need to remove the LEDs and solder two wires to a LED on a panel, you can buy chassis mounting LEDs.

The plastic resin has a small flat to indicate polarity so you should wire them the same way, otherwise if the LEDS does not light up, just swap the wires round - there is 50/50 change of wiring it up correctly by guessing, and you won't damage LED if you got it wrong the first time.

rsthomas

Thanks 02GF74. Make sense. This is my first time and im not really an electronic savvy person either ( yet ) so I would basically go with the box approach and possibly a transparent box if possible. I am hoping for a better quality music. A lot of people here had good experience using Wolfson DACs.

rsthomas

Success !!!

Update : Received the transformer and temporarily hooked up everything. Played some CDs. Connection was like this, DVD Player toslink -> DAC toslink input, RCA output from DAC to my amplifier. I really liked details of the output. Some key observations, bass is low and volume dropped significantly. Is the volume drop normal ? What should i expect after the burning in period ? Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1621 (1).JPG
    IMG_1621 (1).JPG
    146 KB · Views: 85

rsthomas

It is more on the brighter side. I havent compared any other DACs but I am planning to do an analysis using some of the software's available. At the end of the day, I believe everyone like a different weighted combination of low,mid,high frequencies. I tend to like sound a bit on the brighter side but not too bright. Hope that helps.