DIY Center Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, newbie here.

I'm new to the world of DIY hi-fi, although I've been building/tweaking tube instrument amps for a while, and am comfortable doing cabinetry work. I'd feel comfortable building hi-fi equipment from plans, but still have a lot to learn, particularly with speaker design. So I come to you humbly for help.

Immediately, what I'd like to do is get some suggestions on DIY center channel speakers. I would like to build something to work nicely with my main stereo speakers, a pair of (2-way, bookshelf-size) B&W CDM1-SEs. I'm not really looking for a booming, thunderous surround sound experience so much as I'd prefer to bring some clarity and focus to the system.

Are there any plans or DIY threads that might be a good jumping-off point for me?

Thanks,

-Chris

I'd be happy to try a speaker with a full range driver (or 2? or 3?). I'm not really committed to multi-way with x-over. Simple and small would be better, all things being equal.

So from poking around here, I get the impression that a sideways MTM center channel degrades horizontal dispersion. I assume, this is due to introducing x-axis phase cancellation on the midrange drivers, right? I also assume consumers like the flat center channel mostly because it "fits right" beneath their television.

But anyway, maybe I should look at the mark audio site and find a compact single-driver design to start out with?

Just don't consider any sideways MTMs.

One that looks very similar but much better implementation is WWW :D

Woofer - wideranger - woofer

This can largely avoid the lobing problem of ordinary horizontal MTM by the much lower xover point, and widen the driver choices. An overall higher performance speaker is the result.

It's even used in pro sound.

DANLEY | SYNERGY HORN

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One that looks very similar but much better implementation is WWW :D

Woofer - wideranger - woofer

This can largely avoid the lobing problem of ordinary horizontal MTM by the much lower xover point, and widen the driver choices. An overall higher performance speaker is the result.

That's exactly how i'm approaching a floorstanding MTM i'm building. XO 300-400 Hz i expect.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.