Dipole sub question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have only a single Adire DPL-12 that I was previously using in a sealed box. After I upgraded, it has gone unused. Now, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to build a H-frame and use it as a dipole sub for upper bass and my new sub for lower bass (maybe a 40Hz crossover between the two). Would this work? Or do dipole subs need to have two drivers for the proper effect? I am quite new to dipole subs and would appreciate any pointers.

needtubes said:
Would this work? Or do dipole subs need to have two drivers for the proper effect?

There ar two benefits you have with two drivers:
You can get full impulse compensation with two drivers in a W-frame and you get a somehow more symmetrical radiation (and less distortion) with two drivers mounted push-pull in a H-frame.

Apart from that a single driver works as well in a dipole as multiple drivers do. One 12" driver may be a bit small SPL-wise, but you surely should (and can) try the dipole experience.

One caveat: Please don´t put one driver in a H-frame sized for two drivers, since that would unnecessarily enhance the inherent resonance of the frame.
The H-"cube" should be just as high and wide as the driver demands. Depth should be about the same.

BTW: 40 Hz (or even 50 Hz) crossover (as steep as possible) to another sub will be almost perfect since it will disburden the Adire substantially.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.