• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Differences in structure between parafeed ad gapped OPTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dsavitsk said:
Besides the fact that one is gapped, are there differences in the windings between parafeed and single feed transformers? Could you, in theory, restack the lams on a single feed transformer without a gaps and use it for parafeed duty, or vice versa?

I suppose you could, but not guarantee good performance. Changing the core to either open up or close a gap will cause the inductance to change enormously. This probably also alters the leakage inductance. As to what happens next, who knows? I wouldn't expect optimum performance either way.

I wasn't going to to do this with good transformers, but thought playing with some cheapies might prove interesting.

On that note, does anyone have a decent reference for learning to design and wind transformers? I've found a number of online references that give the basics, but something that has a few more nuts and bolts on doing some of the actual math involved and balancing the tradeoffs would be great.

Additionally, does anyone know a source for small quantities of laminations?

dsavitsk said:
On that note, does anyone have a decent reference for learning to design and wind transformers? I've found a number of online references that give the basics, but something that has a few more nuts and bolts on doing some of the actual math involved and balancing the tradeoffs would be great.

Additionally, does anyone know a source for small quantities of laminations?

Try this site, and this software: http://www.turneraudio.com.au/education+diy.html

http://www.dissident-audio.com/OPT_da/Page.html

I have some EI lams and bobbins sitting around. Had to order 1k sets of the lams. I'd also like to know if anyone sells small quants.

Sheldon

Yes you can, and the transformer will work. It will not be the best parafeed tranny (that requires a smaller core so a proper and more efficient bobbin can be wound) but you will like it.

I found Turner's pages to be very educational and easy to read and learn.

Gianluca

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.