Did I hook this up right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Right now I am in kind of a dilemia about hooking up this battery power supply correctly. As you can see in the picture the batteries are connected in series and parallel so 12v and 24v are outputed. Will noise from the AC line come in through the batteries if I keep the ground connected all the time from the charger to the batteries ? Should I use a different switch than the DPDT switch? Just look at the picture and give me the best options in connecting two 12v batteries to output 24v and 12v while having a switch to connect a 12v charger. Thanks a bunch for your help. I appeciate it.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 183
Try something like this. The relay needs to be 12v, 4pdt. When you plug in the charger, it will power the relay, which will connect the batteries in parallel and charge them. When the charger/relay is off, the batteries are connected in series for 24v. I think the best way to get 12v from that is to use a voltage regulator. When you use just one battery to get 12v to power relays, it will get discharged more than the other one, which will not be good. And you cannot have the batteries connected in parallel and series at the same time.

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 121
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hey xplod1236

I like your idea of using a 4pdt power relay to charge the batteries in parallel and still run them in series. My other question is if it would be alright to hook up a 5v and 12v regulator to a 24v line. I was planning on using the lm7805 for the 5v regulator and a generic regulator for the 12v line since it is only powering the output and delay relays. The 5v line is more important since it powers the tripath processor chip. Thanks again for all your time.

My other question is if it would be alright to hook up a 5v and 12v regulator to a 24v line.
Yes.

I forgot to add that the 12v batteries together will output 10Ah of current. Will this matter in the voltage regulators I can choose? Thanks again.
In series the batteries will only put out 5Ah. Which regulators you can use only depends on how much current you need out of them.

Just a suggestion; why not use 24v relays? That way you won't be wasting power in the 12v regulator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.