Did anybody measure TDA1541A S2 ^^

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I remeber correctly , the published difference between the S1 and the S2 THD was only a single dB or about at full scale output, -60dB was the same... that's not easy ti measure...

right now I'm busy building the distortion analyzer from www.sound.au.com and it looks like my first version is able to attenuade the fundamental -80dB... even -100dB for a few seconds once in a while for a few seconds..

..still what you're asking doesn't sound like an easy job...

I have tried 6 TDA1541A and 2 TDA1541A S1 and they all sound very different.

Out of 6 TDA1541A I managed to select one that sounds very good. The other 5 are ok - some are fine, some are pretty harsh sounding, but each chip has its own character.

Out of 2 TDA1541A S1 I selected one with very nice and pleasant - warm sound, but not enough low end definition. The other TDA1541A S1 has the same sound character as TDA1541A I use at the moment, good low end definition while still managing to be subjectively pleasant on the ear.

Very interesting - all 6 TDA1541A chips sound different, and they all come from the same batch!

Extreme_Boky

tschrama said:
If I remeber correctly , the published difference between the S1 and the S2 THD was only a single dB or about at full scale output, -60dB was the same...

That would be a real joke. 1 dB is nothing.

..still what you're asking doesn't sound like an easy job... [/B]

Depends.
A simple adjustable op amp - preamp to boost the -60dB signal to be large enough for the spectrum analyzer.
That is what I do.

Originally posted by Extreme_Boky
I have tried 6 TDA1541A and 2 TDA1541A S1 and they all sound very different.

True.

Out of 6 TDA1541A I managed to select one that sounds very good. The other 5 are ok - some are fine, some are pretty harsh sounding, but each chip has its own character.[/B]

TDA1541A tends to have a single strong K5 harmonic ( harsh) on one channel.
The other channel usually got more than one & less stronger harmonics.

I do not know why, maybe an error in SAA7220B.
Both channels sound different !

Compared to that, the plain 1541 together with SAA7220A got various less weaker harmonics ( which may add to higher total distortion compared to the 1541 A chip ) on both channels and I found a few where left and right channel look nearly the same.
( But I believe small K2 to K8 sounds better than strong K5 )[/B][/QUOTE]

Out of 2 TDA1541A S1 I selected one with very nice and pleasant - warm sound, but not enough low end definition. The other TDA1541A S1 has the same sound character as TDA1541A I use at the moment, good low end definition while still managing to be subjectively pleasant on the ear.[/B]

I had 6 single crowns which have all not been significantly better than plain 1541A.
Also a single crown from a player was not better.
Best was a S1 with Q sticker from CD880.

Very interesting - all 6 TDA1541A chips sound different, and they all come from the same batch![/B]

Differences between chips make much more than caps and op amps and clocks but nobody believes me.
And crowns are not worth a penny :cannotbe:

I understand that people post S1 or S2 sound better, this may be the case but crowns are no guarantee.

I've tried several TDA1541A's,2 x S1's and a single S2.
The S2 was clearly the best regarding the sound.
The only testing used was my ears, I didn't think much of the S1, it seemed too soft in the bass although all the tda1541A's did sound different.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:
I have information which I hold back for some reasons :cannotbe:

Are we supposed to ask what information that is ?? ;)

FWIW I have used S2 and found it to be the absolute best of the whole bunch. Very different from S1. A bigger difference exists between S1 and S2 than between standard versions and S1 in my ears.

I still have one unused S2 that will be used in Pedjas DAC. I am curious how it will sound in that configuration.

jean-paul said:

Are we supposed to ask what information that is ?? ;)

FWIW I have used S2 and found it to be the absolute best of the whole bunch. Very different from S1. A bigger difference exists between S1 and S2 than between standard versions and S1 in my ears.

I still have one unused S2 that will be used in Pedjas DAC. I am curious how it will sound in that configuration.

Pedja's dac was what I used to compare them;)
First thing that was obvious to me is the bass and timing, the S1 reminds me of PIO capacitors but the S2 was more like a very good quality polypropylene.
The S2 will be staying in Pedja's dac along with the Reclocker

I wonder if the difference in sound that some are experiencing between various TDA1541A chips is due to the manner in which they have been handled and stored and/or soldered (ESD and heat)?

If there is/was a significant difference between pristine chips from the same production line or in the same batch - it would suggest that every CD player in a particular series would sound different. For instance - do all Marantz CD60's sound different from each other?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.