Could this be the perfect coils for Aleph's PS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
;) I have quite a few of those coils. Would they be good for Aleph PS? The resistance is not measurable and the size is very convenient, 4A capacity. Something tells me though, that there is no free lunch.;)

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 571
If I connect them in parallel they have 8A capacity and almost no voltage drop since the resistance is almost nothing. They would be good for any Aleph. Did you see the Thermistors Mr. Pass is using, they are even smaller.;)

I was using them in ZEN amp and no problem, however I didn't bother to check if they did what they suppose to do. The must be a catch here. Anybody knows what kind?;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter,

Aren't those "Common Mode Chokes" They get their inductive impedance from CM noise in one coil bucking the CM in the other coil. That why such a high inductance in such a small package. Later I'll give you some info. I lost my HD with all my links:bawling: Do a search on "Common Mode Choke"; there's a couple of threads on it.

Rodd Yamas***a

Peter Daniel said:
If I connect them in parallel they have 8A capacity and almost no voltage drop since the resistance is almost nothing. They would be good for any Aleph. Did you see the Thermistors Mr. Pass is using, they are even smaller.;)

I was using them in ZEN amp and no problem, however I didn't bother to check if they did what they suppose to do. The must be a catch here. Anybody knows what kind?;)

If you connect them in parallel then you'll have 1/2 of inductance, would that still be enough ?

Peter,

As I see on the picture coils are for AC.

You want to use the coils in DC and may be their cores will saturate and as result inductance will be (almost) lost.

You can try them with constant current and you will see how much ripple they will remove.

If the coils are on the same core you will have full inductance if you connect them in paralel with matched ends.

Thanks Rodd for the link. I remember, I read it before. I think Nelson Pass comments would end the discussion and prove that there is no free lunch:;)

"Keep in mind that this thread was started with
common mode inductors, which only filter the
noise common to two lines. These can be quite
small but have high current ratings, but will not
filter non-common mode current, and most of what
you are going to want to filter is not common mode.

This type of coil is good for common mode RF suppression,
not audio range supply filtering."

So you have to go big after all.
;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.