Cordless Soldering Iron?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone used one of these and if so any recommendations? I am working on a few tube projects and I typically use 60/40 solder. Amazon has a few options to choose from and prices seem to be all over the place. I picked up a part time job that might allow me to work on some projects but I don't see carrying in my nice Weller to be a good idea.

Last edited:
Portosol make a nice gas soldering iron. 10181060 | Portasol Gas Soldering Iron, 60W | Portasol
The rechargeable irons from Weller to El Cheapo are not much use and run out plus low powered.
I use a Weller Pyropen. WSTA3 | Weller Soldering Iron Kit | Weller

I have seen the gas units, but I am fairly certain that those will not fly where I am currently working.

I appreciate you input because what you said confirms my suspicions about the battery operated soldering irons.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the latest stuff from Portasol for a long time, and the one in your link is the top of the range... that's big money for an iron :D

I've two Portasols, one is actually an original 'orange' one from when they first became popular around 25 yrs ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oryx-Porta...=UTF8&qid=1465238031&sr=8-5&keywords=Portasol

Its still going strong, and I still have a few replacement tips for it.

And the other is Portasol Pro kit from around 20yrs ago.

If the link works, have a look at these. If it doesn't then just enter Portasol as a search term.
http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=700000008641&langId=69&storeId=10180

I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the latest stuff from Portasol for a long time, and the one in your link is the top of the range... that's big money for an iron :D

Won't argue there, it's a good chunk of change. I like the "kit" though because it has a few tip sizes and comes with a case. All of which makes it easier to pack. They have a slightly cheaper version that's comparable to a 75watt iron.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.