• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Citation I, Citation II, and another Citation I

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just inherited some nice amps I have to decide what to do with:

Citation I my dad built from a kit. Including the assembly manuals. All original tubes.

Citation II my dad built from a kit. Including the assembly manuals. A bit rough, it seems mice lived in his stereo console until the cats did their job. Gold Lion KT88's with very low hours.

Brand-new, still in-box, factory-assembled Citation I, with warranty card, instructions, bag, dessicant, etc. Never plugged in, never used. Box top has never been opened, but bottom has been opened to confirm contents and condition. Panels, knobs, original tubes, etc. are of course perfect. Condition of original capacitors after all these years is unknown. Last time I looked inside the box was about 30 years ago, and it was a rare museum piece back then.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Lucky devil.. Definitely worth the trouble to restore. I would probably sell the NIB Citation I, should command very decent money and use those funds to repair the others.

Jim McShane has the parts you will need for the Citation II, and possibly may be of help with the Citation I as well.

Hopefully Eli will chime in with some further thoughts.

Joined 2011
Last edited:
McShane all the way!

The MOV KT88s may be worth money on the open market. Find out if selling them off yields a net plus, after buying a set of "reissue" GL KT88s. The sonics of the current production tubes are excellent and only slight reservations remain about their durability. If you can, take the money and run.

Yes, ebay that NOS preamp. I'd guess $1500-$2000 at a minimum.
You'll have lots of help on the used one, if you want to restore it.
citation i
Harman Kardon Citation I Pre-Amplifier
The power amp is more difficult, so do that after the preamp.

Actually, the power amp is far easier. The McShane kits make it pretty simple, the difficult part is stripping it down to be painted. This is one of the more complicated preamps, with a lot of buffer stages and a lot of tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.