Cerwin Vega XLS215...can it be so cheap???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to agree with you. If it had a more "upmarket" look it would have created quite a stir in the mainstream Hi-Fi magazines, and gained a lot more attention.

For me, I don't care about the looks. In fact, it looks good to me, although I do like the look of wood veneer, the black cabinet still suits many rooms.

I know, aren't those just so cool? ;)
I reckon they're the dog's bollocks. I'm very tempted when I order the AE TD15 for my centre to see if John can do a surround in red.

Then again, I'm pikey enough to want flames on the tank of my bike and my helmet painted to match.

Yes they shout ad 500dollar to the price and skip the plastic front look and ad a little arc to the sides with a nice wood veneer on it . Skip the red surrounds an we have a high-end loudspeaker.
I'd rather have them as they are and not pay more money.

I think the Cerwin Vegas are a much better deal than these would be:
linn audio of new hampshire

Just attended the Melbourne HiFi show and my CV XLS-215 are certainly not as detailed in the mids and highs as some $25,000 speakers, but overall give me far more listening enjoyment, they give a far more balanced full range sound, the lack of detail in comparison is only by a few degrees of separation, and not worth the 23 and a half thousand dollar difference. The expensive "detailed" speakers gave me a headache, majority of them are too bright and have no substantial bass. I came home after listening to $50,000 to $100,000 systems and wasn't wanting for anything more. CVs are really good (after a few tweaks) :)

Something puts me in the frame of mind that those 'Linns' would not bother you with too much detail. In fact I'd be surprised if they are any better than the Cerwins in any respect.

They used to publish the price of 'their' amp (it's a dirt-cheap Behringer). Guess they found some shame as it was 10x what Behringer charged.

You certainly have an axe to grind against Linn, but yes the Cerwin Vegas are good.
When I said they are down on detail, its really only a very minor amount when compared to the "very best" speakers. Against speakers at their price and up to about $10,000, they are easy winners. At around $10,000 and up they do encounter serious opposition.

38 Hz at -3db, 36 Hz at -10db. What? Just how steep is that curve? And these are sealed? Sounds like they would be boomy. You know, the big peak with the steep drop off.

I had a CV HT-12D sub. Horrible. Very boomy in the 45-50Hz range and no deep bass at all. The driver compliance was better suited for sealed, so I put it in 1.7 cu. ft. cabinet and it sounds like heaven.

I have some CV AT-12's. They don't sound half bad, but are rather coarse, if the truth be told. They go VERY loud, though. I think they could be improved with better cabinets and crossover components. The drivers are not flush mounted and the cabinets have little bracing, just one front-back brace, and a raised lip all around the baffle. Some cheap sony's ($39/pr) I have seem to out-class them in the midrange. My DIY's are vastly better than these.

They don't sound half bad, but are rather coarse, if the truth be told
I have never been able to audition the CLS or XLS series but I agree that's a good way to characterize the sound of the CVs I have listened to. And I don't think of most CVs as sounding "bright", which is an opinion I see written much more often, an opinion very probably based on experiences gained from parties where the receiver's treble (and bass too I'll bet!) was adjusted to its maximum setting.

And as far as optimum imaging and clean/accurate bass performance in that same setting, I highly doubt the speakers were located in locations to make that happen - instead, they were probably shoved into the corners of the room to make space for the dancers and social mingling purposes. So, no imaging of any kind plus boomy sloppy bass, the end result being a bad rep for the speakers in audiophile circles.

In my case, the CV sub was extremely boomy. 2.5 cu. ft. box with two 4" dia. 11" ports. The driver had an Fs of 17 and Qts is probably in the .5 range. This adds up to boomy. Didn't matter were I moved it, the thing was horrid. It should have been sealed. I take it most larger CV multiways are sealed?

I don't have direct experience with that model, it would be nice to think that CV are improving. In the past they have always given volume for the dollar with accuracy taking a back seat. Party yes, critical listening no.

Coming from a guy who still owns 4 of their MV-15 (15" 3 way) P.A. units. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4469.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.