Capacitor Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know where a good place is to buy caps?

I checked digikey mouser ect and the caps I need to repair an amp are extremely expensive .

I’m working on a Orion 2100 hcca and the caps were missing when I got the amp

The caps I need are 4700uf 63 volt and 3300uf 50 volt

Last edited:
That's a fairly common value, but yeah the prices are going steadily up because through hole parts are becoming a thing of the past with the advent of SMD components. Make sure when you search that you use the physical dimensions as a criteria, I often find that I can squeeze in a larger value cap where an OEM one once was and that's a good thing. Allied and Mouser are my go-to's, I usually wind up with some type of Panasonic cap in a tin can because they are really skinny.

If this is a "digital reference" amp, the Nichicon 4700uF 63V axials do not fit (even though the older T.I. caps originally used do.) The 4700uF 50V will, however, and I use these. Actually you can use 8 3300uF 50V for the largest caps. Many of the Nichicon axials are end-of-life, and I have not had much luck finding a good 4700uF 63V axial that will fit in small quantity.

If this is a "competition" version, you won't need axial caps.

Again if the amp is a "digital reference" (I think so after checking the price on digikey), the 4700uF 63V radial version will fit, although you need to extend the leads and route them across the cap, using silicone or similar to keep them in place. I have done this before with good results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.