Candles....Not too bad for 3hrs work !

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/candles1.JPG
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gradds/candles2.JPG

Not the design plinth, ran out of energy!!
Baffle is only tacked on, will be attached from rear once completed

These are designed as an mtm using the Vifa M11WG + D26NC. The m11's are the ones I got to complete "Gumby" til I could find the final P11WH's (which should arrive soon I hope).
I have to do something with the M11's!!

May consider rears and sub and try to sell them as a HT system.. we will see what happens !

Baffle will be veneered with some very nice Tassie Blackwood I have, stand will be semi-gloss black I think.
 

wintermute

Administrator
2003-08-03 11:43 am
Sydney
3 Hrs!!! It's taken me over a week to get my first of two MTM boxes to the gluing stage (and I've done not much else!!)!!! Admittedly there isn't too much more to do to get the other one done, and I was being very carefull, but I wish I had even a 1/4 of your speed!!! :)

Tony.
 

ShinOBIWAN

diyAudio Member
2004-02-25 9:13 pm
UK
wintermute said:
3 Hrs!!! It's taken me over a week to get my first of two MTM boxes to the gluing stage (and I've done not much else!!)!!! Admittedly there isn't too much more to do to get the other one done, and I was being very carefull, but I wish I had even a 1/4 of your speed!!! :)

Tony.

They say that speed comes with experience but I've spent a load of hours building speakers and in actual fact I'd say I'm around the same sort of speed I was when I first started, maybe a tad faster but nothing to talk about.

What I have found is that I can do cuts much more accurately and intricate difficult boxes are trivial to cut and build once the cutting list is worked out.

I'd sooner trade speed anyday for skill. It looks like Andy has managed both.
 
You're more looney than me Andy.... not by much. :D

It was good to meet and to have a listen to some of Andy's creations and music and to see the Coneheads (they'll always be that to me) in progress. Someday Andy will come over an listen to my stuff.

I know Andy's secret for quick construction. He just yells at the MDF dust on the floor and they go into formation creating all these wild shapes.... you don't think that anyone could actually have the talent to create this stuff do you? :D I think I saw it on an episode of The Twilight Zone. ;)

Newcastle DIY society :) Just need Collo to chime in now.

barfind
Did you ever finish the AKSA?
 
ShinOBIWAN said:


They say that speed comes with experience but I've spent a load of hours building speakers and in actual fact I'd say I'm around the same sort of speed I was when I first started, maybe a tad faster but nothing to talk about.

What I have found is that I can do cuts much more accurately and intricate difficult boxes are trivial to cut and build once the cutting list is worked out.

I'd sooner trade speed anyday for skill. It looks like Andy has managed both.


from what I've noticed I'm actually getting faster... as I suspect you are

but as you advance you want to go more intricate with the designs so therefore it takes LONGER even though you're actually faster

my bass cabinets for instance I did very fast... but it still took me around 45 hrs just to get those cut sanded and glued... maybe more like 60 hrs
and that actually is about twice as fast as I could have done that 3 yrs ago...
 

ShinOBIWAN

diyAudio Member
2004-02-25 9:13 pm
UK
Audiophilenoob said:
but as you advance you want to go more intricate with the designs so therefore it takes LONGER even though you're actually faster

Now that's certainly true.

I think I've got some mild form of OCD though because I measure everything around 3 times before I even think of looking at the saw.

Its quite funny since I just get it to cutting bench and then I still have to measure it one last time, my tape measure is certainly the most important bit kit I've got and it only cost me a tenner :D

I still make mistakes though and that's usually because I haven't wrote the damn sizes down correct in the first place ;)
 

wintermute

Administrator
2003-08-03 11:43 am
Sydney
ShinOBIWAN said:


Now that's certainly true.

I think I've got some mild form of OCD though because I measure everything around 3 times before I even think of looking at the saw.

Its quite funny since I just get it to cutting bench and then I still have to measure it one last time, my tape measure is certainly the most important bit kit I've got and it only cost me a tenner :D

I still make mistakes though and that's usually because I haven't wrote the damn sizes down correct in the first place ;)

Hehehe sounds like me, though I not only do all that, but also cut a test one too!!! :rolleyes:

I made a bad mistake yesterday, I was keen to get the second box together and just after I finally had it all glued and clamped (took me about an hour, so the first joints were well and truely stuck) I realised I hadn't put in (or even drilled out the bigger holes for) my tnuts (actually just normal nuts forced into slightly smaller holes)...... should be fixable though :smash:

Tony.