• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Canada. Rega3 anyone want it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Case

Back in 1982 I finished highschool in a small town and as I was fairly diligent at the learning (some may say due to a lack of social skills, but I blame it on my parents) I managed to collect a few scholarships. Now typicaly these funds are meant to be spent on tution and books but I figured that I could live cheap and finally purchase some stereo equipment. I got myself a Harmon Kardon tape deck and integrated amplifier and a Dual turntable and some really crappy speakers. I upgraded the speakers to MB Quart after I finished the university thing and was fairly happy with what I had and my ever growing collection of vinyl. That is until I met the love of my life and was married in 1990. The vinyl was packed up and stayed packed up until 4 months ago when I finally finished a room in the basement and specially modified an Ikea cabinet to hold the collection (out of sight). Now I'm still working on speakers and amps and am planning to put together one of those home made ultrasonic record cleaning thingies so that I can listen to vinyl once again. I've even purchsed a couple of albums in the past year. Of course I could cointinue with using the Dual I have but after suffering through years of SRF (spousal rejection factor) an upgraded turntable would be great.

I have a friend in Toronto, a student, who has been very helpful to me and others, is a good kid, not afraid to DIY. When he does ask questions, they are thoughtful ones. I met him and his dad in person about a year ago and they are both upstanding individuals. He'd be enthralled to be on the receiving end of your generosity and if chosen, I'll donate what you wanted for shipping to a local Charity helping families in need over the holidays.

I'd personally like to have it, as well, but I really need to concentrate on my DIY turntable and this might distract me from that.

I should get it because its obvious I can make really good use of it.

Attachments

• ears.jpg
    ears.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 158
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My submission...

In the spirit of the thread, here is my story.

I have owned many tables & tonearms. When i was at the hifi store in the late 70s it was almost like turntable of the month clud. When i left, i took an oracle with me... had to sell it due to poverty. Rounds of feast or famine had me go thru a number of TTs between then & now. Still poor, but i've managed to hand onto a really beat Rega 2 that cost me $100.

Having had much better TT, i've always had aspirations for better. Now that i am going to start sucking my thousands of LPs into the computer i really need better than the R2 (or be prepared to redo it all when i do get a better TT).

Getting back into diy i started scheming to rebuild the essence of the rega into something else, but am somewhat loath to use the existing due to its beatedness, and that it just deserves to remain a beater.

I started with the idea of a symmetrical 3 arm turntable, but initial drawings showed that support requirements would be gargantuan, so it was scaled back to 2 arms. 1 with a removable headshell, and one that would be the primary. See the renders.

Feet are outboard of the arms for stability and the Rega feet are augmented by my Dole fruitcup damper/isolation feet (a dole fruit cup filled with a latex damping/stiffening compound (waste from using it to stiffen baskets), a rubber, steel, glass ball is used to create a low contact patch -- shown here with a recycled mouse ball, the Rega feet need a larger diameter ball)

Many of the details based on this Conny BD1 i did up:

coniseurBD1-grace-triangle.jpg

The plinth is a sandwich of acrylic and aluminum. Motor has been moved so that its pull counters the drag from the primaries stylus.

I have been collected bits for 10 years or so. I have the acrylic. I have the aluminum (from Boeing surplus). I rescued a really nice Technics removable headshell arm off an SL1200. I have a corian replacement outer platter.

Now all i need is a Rega donor with good feet bearing, motor, and inner platter, and a good primary arm. I have had and installed Hadcocks before so can appreciate one, and can keep it set up.

Neutron7 can retain the dustcover -- makes a great tray for parts & such, and can make the platter into a clock. Or i could.

There are no doubt some solicitations here that are in greater need of a TT (ie they have none), but in some cases one wonders if they can appreciate this table, and keep the Hadcock setup.

For those i can offer more suitable TTs, properly setup with a cartridge (Grado), for cost of shipping.

dave

Attachments

• Rega-Redo-2-comp.gif
    Rega-Redo-2-comp.gif
    124.1 KB · Views: 151
  • DoleFruitFeet.jpg
    DoleFruitFeet.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 117
  • technics-tonearm.jpg
    technics-tonearm.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 119
OK, my story is ... I'll offer $150 for an arm plus shipping to US and you can give away the table to whoever story you like. ;) I have a cartridge which is said to be a great match with Hadcock tonearm (I know it sucks with Rega arm).
I'm pretty sure I can buy for close to that amount a proper Rega tonearm for the table if you decide to donate it to some poor fellow in US or Canada

OK, if I had to pick I would vote for dnewma04, but since you offered... My daughter is 11 years old, loves music, plays a bit of piano, flute, ukelele, drums, etc. She is fascinated by the pile of vinyl I have in my shed, and desperately wants a turntable. My system would be a good match: an Arcam Delta integrated amp (with phono inputs) and Tangent TM3 loudspeakers (British, KEF drivers, mid-70's vintage). I am also in the process of building a pair of Linkwitz Pluto's (hence DIY cred). My old Technics belt-drive is not in working condition and really not worth a lot of effort, but if I had a Rega3 with a cool arm... well, I might throw a few dollars at that and make it better, put a good MC cartridge on it, and teach my girl how to play records. And I live in Canada (NS).

I would love that the TT would be in possess of woman (girl) I saw on Sunday.
I was hanging around in a thrift shop made by american people here in Florence . On a table there was an old plastic Philips ....disc player ?!?
It was black with an orange lid ,containing the loudspeaker . There was of course volume and tone control . So , this girl was looking at it and she asked 'how much' and 'does it work?' and the woman replied :It works ! You can purchase also the records we have ... The girl said that she and his boyfriend had some LPs (though the Philip's platter was 45rpms size.) and they would love to listen to them . So the deal was done ,for 18 € she had a terrific piece of design of the '70s . I kept my mouth shout :cool:

I could really use that table. I have a NAD( Rega) 533 that is missing a tone arm but otherwise can be resurrected with some parts. The whole reason I want this table is to be able to put a turntable together for my father who I have secretly been buying jazz albums for for about three years. I have close to 200 50's and 60's jazz stuff that he likes now. He knows nothing about it. He was the one who started me in records at a very early age. However, as me and my brother were growing up, many of the records were trashed or lost- mostly due to us being little hellions. My father even held onto the Garrard Type A for many years after parting reluctantly with his records. I noticed there was a real attachment for that table. About 6 months ago he saw this incomplete Rega I picked up and really liked it's simplicity. He then went on to say that he wished he never parted with any of his records. Little did he know I remembered many of the titles in his original collection and had been gathering them. This would be the icing on the cake for his and my Christmas. Both of us are really pinching pennies so everything has been really tight. Matter of fact it looks like Christmas might be on hold here. It would bring a tear to his eye to receive a nice working table and all the vinyl I saved up for him at the same time. Hearing all those Nat King Cole, George Shearing, Ramsey Lewis, ect all over again- on his own machine. He is getting in his late 70s so I would love for him to have a chance to hear vinyl again. So, I guess this table you are offering up may help fill a void my father has had for over 20 years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.