Can I use corkboard as a platform for temporarily mounting + testing electronics?

The most important lesson I learnt (from experience) when testing is to ensure cables are secure so they can't touch, connections are clearly labelled/colour coded/proper sockets fitted.
It is so easy when swapping boards & connections to make a wrong connection & let out the magic smoke.
Image attached with boards & motor screwed down, cables clamped & power cables led to clear red/black posts.

Attachments

• DSCF6368.JPG
    DSCF6368.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 85
The most important lesson I learnt (from experience) when testing is to ensure cables are secure so they can't touch, connections are clearly labelled/colour coded/proper sockets fitted.
It is so easy when swapping boards & connections to make a wrong connection & let out the magic smoke.
Image attached with boards & motor screwed down, cables clamped & power cables led to clear red/black posts.
This is how new I am to electronics- what are those plastic circuit board looking things towards the back and how can I use them? Are they basically like solder free PCBs (i.e. put wires in on top and connect them on the bottom?)

Thanks for the advice.

Yes. also known as Protoboards.

Very useful for experimenting, but connections are somewhat flimsy, so a clever company
https://www.adafruit.com/product/571offers matching protoboards and exact same layout PCBs, so it´s easy transferring experimental designs to a properly soldered board without extra "thinking" or designing, just transfer parts pin by pin.

Push-in protoboard at right, top and bottom views of solderable PCB at left and center.
Stroke of genius.

571-03.jpg

They have printed "mapping" letters and numbers to make it easier,.

Great idea.

They also offer 3 board packs so you can keep using that smart idea.
Or need multiple copies of your successful design:

571-00.jpg