• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Brimar 6L6G loose glass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people, I have a pair of brimar 6L6G valves in my amp and the glass is loose on one. It works perfectly but worries me. I seem to remember someone saying use acetone but can't remember how. Can anyone explain how I can fix it. At the moment I am using 6P3P but wired in triode.

Last edited:
Crazy glue does not stick well to glass and softens with heat.
Plus it gives out nose itching irritating fumes when heated.

I suggest a thin bead all around made with epoxy (Araldit suggested above is fine) or silicone , which is not *rigid* but sticks very well to glass (it´s used to make fishtanks, go figure) and stands crazy temperatures.

Will stink acetic acid when just applied, completely neutral after curing (a few hours).

I suggest a thin bead all around made with epoxy (Araldit suggested above is fine) or silicone , which is not *rigid* but sticks very well to glass (it´s used to make fishtanks, go figure) and stands crazy temperatures.

Will stink acetic acid when just applied, completely neutral after curing (a few hours).
Will go with the epoxy as can use it on my old cars steering wheel where it's cracked

Good point. I've only used it on stuff that was under 100c.

Another option (ugly but cheap) would be aluminum tape.

Cantech Foil Tape, 1.9-in x 9.14-m | Canadian Tire

If you use this, use several layers.

The proper way to do it....

Attachments

• 1am_nut_job.jpg
    1am_nut_job.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 5R4_fix.jpg
    5R4_fix.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 115
  • VT79_KT8c_pairs.jpg
    VT79_KT8c_pairs.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 115
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.