Bridging an amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have Genelec 1028a old power amplifier.

It uses two separate channels with Philips bdv66d and bdv67d transistor pair in each channel. It has two separate input level/ volume control for both channels.

Its rated also for 4 oHms. Only one toroidal transformer for both channels. Balanced inputs. Woofers i want to drive are 8 Ohms.

Its really really basic design, no bridging mentioned in the back of amp.

Sound is excellent, but i want more power.

Is this amp suitable bridging and what is the best way?

Balanced xlr connection is coming in from Rme dac.

I am newbie with this stuff

Last edited:
Bridging (if possible - it is not always so) will give you theoretically double the power, but not in stereo - only mono. So for stereo you would need two of the amplifiers. Do you have two amps?

But, doubling the power may not do as much as you think - a doubling of power only allows a very few db extra volume - and chances are that you are not using all the volume available anyway - if you were you would be blowing your ears apart.

But, doubling the power may not do as much as you think - a doubling of power only allows a very few db extra volume

Yep, 3db, barely audible.

To get twice as loud you need to go up 10db which is 10 times the power.

I did a search for the amplifier ... Genelec 1028A

It's specified as 120 watts per channel... which with any reasonable speaker should be more than enough power.

I noticed there are RCA jacks on the back so you could bridge it with a simple one transistor phase splitter.

Or if you are driving a pair of woofers, just use an RCA Y connector and run one woofer on each channel.

Attachments

• BTL Inverter.jpg
    BTL Inverter.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 184
  • BTL Inverter.asc
    2.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The system is 3 way active computer based crossover/ dsp with jriver, rephase,rew ..

I quess i could run the phase splitter with the convolution file in jriver?

System: computer --》 rew/jriver -- 》rme ufx six out -- 》 amps 6 channels-- 》3 way stereo

Rme has enough outputs, for example
- 4 outs for two bass woofers
- equals 2 outs per one bass woofer,
- one of those two is phase turned

Is it possible?

Last edited:
Shouldn't it deliver twice the voltage and 4 times the power (assuming the power supply can deliver the current)?

That's a 6db gain.

When you bridge the load impedance may have to double - each amp sees half the impedance. Thus two 4-ohm capable amps bridge to drive an 8 ohm load. If you tried to drive 4 ohms bridged then each amp sees 2 ohms and is overloaded. Two amps can only give twice the max power of one of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.