Borealis or something else ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am looking for a proven design 2 or 2.5 way like the
North Creek Music Borealis for my next project speaker. My current speaker is a two way that I am in the process of finishing up (just build new set of cabinets) and have two more crossovers to try. I am using scan speak 9500 (same as in Borealis) and my midbass is vifa pl18wo. I have to say they sound pretty good, especially the top end. This is a bookshelf style speaker and I would like to build a floor stander.

I am pretty sure I'll use the same SS tweeter or maybe the next one up ss9700 but I am not sure on the mid(s). The SS revelator mid 7" or seas excel w18e look very interesting. If possible at all I want to stick with sealed and not ported design, with bass down to 30-40hz. How does ss 8545 compare to the revelator or the seas w18e ?

Just looking for suggestions,
tia.

I can't answer your specific questions...but I have built both the Borealis and the Rhythm. Both speakers are tremendous. The rhythm speakers go deeper with more authority. I would recommend building the Rhythms.

I run my system BI-amped using four channels of BOSOZ preamps combined with passive line level crossovers and four channels of Aleph 3's (homebuilt). The Rhythm speakers use the scan speak revelator tweeters. It was less expensive BI-Amping the speakers than building the Northcreek Crossover and there are many benefits to Bi-amping.

The passive line level crossover is second order using an inductor, a capacitor and an damping resistor per high and low output. The inductors are .5h toroids made by trw. They are the size of small hocky pucks. I have wondered if I should be using them rather than a second order R/C network, but the response curve is good and there is very little insertion loss. I have observed these inductors to ring when put accross the calibration connections on my O-scope, but in the ciruit, I don't see any ringing.

Your Ideas on this are welcome.

Hello audionut,

I plan on bi-amping myself, my current two way setup is setup for bi-amping also. I am not sure that I want to go all active just yet, maybe later down the road.

I am sure Rhythm is a very robust speaker, but I would rather stick with a simpler TM or 2.5 way to compensate for baffle step using the bottom woofer.

I have seen people using 8545 in fairly small sealed enclosures 12-15 liters and then much bigger 24 liter ported with good results. I have listened to the Krell Lat 2 way with the xt25 revelator and 7" revelator and I liked what I heard. The bottom octave was there, even though it was setup in a fairly big room.

So many choices :)

ok here is my 2 cents.

1. 2.5 way means you will have to go MMT v/s MTM (Rhythm) else where in these posts is a MTM photo of my 8546-9900 system. If needed I can post it again on this query but I dont want to consume bandwidth unless...

2. The SS drivers have a bigger linear Xmax than the SEAS 18e so you can expect better bass (more bass) than with the 18e. The 18e is faster and is great if you are biamping and the sub is stereo very near the sat so imaging does not suffer (sort of like what Wilson Audio WAMM looks like or what Eggleston Speaker works Andra looks like).

3. I bi amp to but more like wha Dave mentioned. the MTM are run full range the sub as a 1st order passive. I dont use the sub unless I need to supplement the bass the SS 8545 and 8546 are adequate for most purposes. The 8545 and 8546 can move a lot of air.

4. there is design out there somewhere what has a 8545 and 8546 in a 2.5 way. Might make sense to dig it up if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

regards
navin

PS cant believe that in the past 4 years or more there have not been a better set of drivers than the 9900/9700/9500 and the 8546 / 8545. If I was you I'd try the 8530 or SEAS 18e (with sub).

Another alternative... 18e-9500 with a 8" woofer for difration compensation.

Note: The 9500 is a very laid back tweeter- more than the 9700. the 9900 is not laid back for my standards and needs to be carefully XOed. I like laid back made a 8546-9500 for a friend 4 years ago. he is long lost (moved to another country) so I wont be able to find that XO.

navin said:
ok here is my 2 cents.

1. 2.5 way means you will have to go MMT v/s MTM (Rhythm) else where in these posts is a MTM photo of my 8546-9900 system. If needed I can post it again on this query but I dont want to consume bandwidth unless...

2. The SS drivers have a bigger linear Xmax than the SEAS 18e so you can expect better bass (more bass) than with the 18e. The 18e is faster and is great if you are biamping and the sub is stereo very near the sat so imaging does not suffer (sort of like what Wilson Audio WAMM looks like or what Eggleston Speaker works Andra looks like).

3. I bi amp to but more like wha Dave mentioned. the MTM are run full range the sub as a 1st order passive. I dont use the sub unless I need to supplement the bass the SS 8545 and 8546 are adequate for most purposes. The 8545 and 8546 can move a lot of air.

4. there is design out there somewhere what has a 8545 and 8546 in a 2.5 way. Might make sense to dig it up if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

regards
navin

PS cant believe that in the past 4 years or more there have not been a better set of drivers than the 9900/9700/9500 and the 8546 / 8545. If I was you I'd try the 8530 or SEAS 18e (with sub).

Another alternative... 18e-9500 with a 8" woofer for difration compensation.

Note: The 9500 is a very laid back tweeter- more than the 9700. the 9900 is not laid back for my standards and needs to be carefully XOed. I like laid back made a 8546-9500 for a friend 4 years ago. he is long lost (moved to another country) so I wont be able to find that XO.

Thanks for the input ! I am going to do some more research before I purchase new set of drivers. Seems like all 3 are very good drivers, but each one has its highs and lows :)

I'll post some pictures of my current two way if anyone is interested (trying different crossovers now).

Jean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.