Boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people

I'm trying once again to build a boombox. This time I thought I'd ask for some help :)

First of all, size. Absolute maximum dimensions are 35 cm height, 25 cm width and 10 cm depth (or 14 x 10 x 4 inches), which is around 9 liters without battery, amplifier,... This is really important because it needs to fit in my backpack (i'll mostly be taking it to school).

I need it to play as loud as possible, which is quite loud because we sit outside all the time.
It needs to have decent bass. I know this is hard to achieve with a small enclosure or when outside, but it doesn't have to go low, just loud.
Budget over sound quality also, because I'm not rich :p

Now I've had a few ideas.

1. A single fullrange. I think this would be my best choice, a square-faced box equipped with an 8 inch fullrange driver. Something like a Visaton BG 20, maybe even the smaller Visaton BG 17.

2. A small line arrray consisting of a lot of drivers. I had this particular driver in mind because it's small, cheap and has good specs: 2-1/2" Paper Cone Extended Range Driver 4 ohm

3. High Q woofers. This is something I am really unsure about, but I've read that sometimes putting these in a small enclosure might result in a peaky low end response. Although im probably wrong. The driver I was looking at (link) has a Qts of 1,01.

I'd really appreciate some insight all of my ideas; why they might work/ will not work at all and which one will work the best in my case.
I know I'm asking a lot, I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to designing speakers ;)

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Seeing your on a budget I will say this, its a lot harder to do well than you think.
You have no hope of building anything that will compete with an intelligent buy.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...r-speakers-what-you-can-get-25-usd-15gbp.html

Is an example of the sort of technology not available to the DIYer.

DIY portable boomboxes have all sorts of problems, not least
very poor charging regimes, which are complicated. Its very
easy to make mistakes in DIY boombox, IMO don't go there.

The more you understand what it takes to make a good budget
product the more you will understand at the budget end of the
market DIY is pretty much hopeless, DIY is relatively expensive.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,
The more you understand what it takes to make a good budget
product the more you will understand at the budget end of the
market DIY is pretty much hopeless, DIY is relatively expensive.
rgds, sreten.
Hi sreten and thank you for your reply. What I mean by budget is that I dont want to spend like 50 euros+ for a decent fullrange driver, also because it simply isn't meant for hifi purposes. I just need a portable box that goes loud.

I'm studying electronics so I have enough knowledge to figure out a charging circuit.
Like I said I'm new to designing speakers from scratch. I've pretty much decided on everything else already.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If i was attempting one I would consider the path of least resistance.
First the voltage .. there's a lot of good stuff for 12v I helped my friend install one of these in his caravan

12v Mini Hifi Amp

He paid £11 for his its only 20w's agreed but made a fair old racket, and a pair of Alpine car speakers from a scrappy for a £10. I think .. don't quote me but car speakers are design for confined space so don't need huge volume to work

I've made a 12v supply from 2 x lithium 7.2v RC batteries and a regulator or DC-DC boost convertor for about £6 of eBay. You can get huge mA's now for not huge cost. Or if a bit of weights not a problem a 2.3 Ah alarm battery for a tenner.

Anyway hope it helps like I said I'm a Noob to so I might be talking shite :eek:

Not an expert but hoping to help....

Aurasound NS3, Dayton ND90/91 or even the ND105 (with tweeter if you like HF).

They are not particularly efficient at 1st sight but they will work well with a minimum of filtering and require tiny boxes - ND90 or NS3 = 1 litre or 100x100x100mm maybe. The ND105 is more efficient and can run in under 3 litres sealed.

As for amps and source.....
A bluetooth amp can be had for say £8-£12. If you want the battery to last high pass the signal or speakers to avoid wasting energy on bass too low to hear.

Cheap battery would be something like a "Magicshine 7.4V bike battery" plus a charger.... And the aforementioned boost converter. You might also build in a ground loop isolator if you need a wired input signal to the amp.

J.

Depending upon your definition of "portable", at least here in the Colonies 12 V "car batteries" may come with a carrying handle. Get the hint? Yes they weigh what maybe 10 Kg but think of the running time! Also easily charged with (of course) a car charger. Point to consider: any auto sound product will work on it. USB adaptors for your computer stuff, etc. Motorcycle battery same rationale, less mass. It is my hope that if you are going to be smoking hashish and drinking alcohol and who knows what other debauchery so far from the electricity grid, that you give due consideration to how you are to power your electronics when you listen to your EDM or whatever the hell you listen to over there :)

Last edited:
1 your design is imperative. Thoroughly think it.
2 sealed box with radiators should do that kick you looking for
3 12v batteries are the best with ups but you limited eith size 5v amps will be your best shot. They dont push much but with a good design you can reach high db. Plenty of amps on aliexpress
4 choose wisely your speakers. Look st more than price and design. Qts, fs, movement...all of these are important.
5 multi way (2 way) are the best option. Full range sounds mushy unless you have top quality ones eg. Ab acoustics 30e a driver of 3"...
6 crossover... dont ask just do it... :D
7 distance between the tweeters is important... yes it is... i swear! Too close will cancel each other and some freqs will be horribly mushy or simply gone.
8 bracing! Overall if you use a panel based build
9 live and learn. You will **** up. Measure twice cut once. And do your maths!! :D
Just to throw it out there, since you are on a budget and want loud bassy enough box, what about, a single karlsonator? If you build and separate compartment at the back for your electro you can make it portable. They do loud and clean out of full ranges. Its impressive. Look at the forums for more info. Any questions just ask :)

How's this for portable...

Using a small amp you can feed it 5v, like the PAM8403, you then can use one of those battery packs people get to extend their cellphone battery.

Build two small boxes with something like 3" full range drivers in them. Choose a nice sturdy one.

Voila! It won't break the piggy bank, but it won't be clubbing loud, of course.
What it will be is very portable and a first foray into the small DIY boom box.

From there, later on, as money gets better, and maybe a bigger mode of transportation than a bicycle, then you can look into something that will output more.

Get yourself one of these and Bluetooth to your box..

TDA8932 2X15W Dual channels wireless Bluetooth Audio digital amplifier board For modified Ceiling mounted bluetooth speaker-in Modules from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

One of these too..

Best Quality 12V Portable Mini Jump Starter 50800mAh Car Jumper Booster Power Mobile Phone Laptop Power Bank Battery Charger-in Battery Charging Units from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Build your box to your measurements, install a pair of Cheap 6x9 car stereo speakers with a whizzer cone (NOT COAXIAL), stuff tight with fiberglass insulation and Wala! It will jam!

To Add..
The amp/Bluetooth unit can be mounted inside of the box. Just have a way to connect the battery to it..

Last edited:
How's this for portable...

Using a small amp you can feed it 5v, like the PAM8403, you then can use one of those battery packs people get to extend their cellphone battery.

Build two small boxes with something like 3" full range drivers in them. Choose a nice sturdy one.

Voila! It won't break the piggy bank, but it won't be clubbing loud, of course.
What it will be is very portable and a first foray into the small DIY boom box.

From there, later on, as money gets better, and maybe a bigger mode of transportation than a bicycle, then you can look into something that will output more.

Totally forgot that and join him. I got a pair done with these for my little cousin and got her to power it with a phone bank as well. You might just need to put a filter on it and do a good design like the boominator to scratch some extra db :)

Hey

Please post some pixs and details.

Regards
Daniel

pics will be difficult as it is now far away from me (I will request her to send some but you know...teenagers.. ^^) - What I can do is post the next pair I will do (in about 3/4 weeks) but they will be really different regarding the enclosure (bookshelf vs vinyl figures) if that is any help?
for the material i use as follow:

Electronics:

PAM 8403 board - purchased here

New Mini PAM8403 5V 2 Channel USB For Audio Amplifier Board 3Wx2W Volume Control-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

but you could these - I heard good things about them but needs some testing done

TDA1308 Headphone amplifier board For the Power Audio amplifier Pre amp amplification use Line out Op AMP Module-in Semiconductors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

charger module here

Micro USB 5V 1A 18650 Lithium Battery Charger Board With Protection Module-in MP3 / MP4 Player Charger from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

that worked for about 6 months then died so I did a quick fix during my last holidays home and just made a removable battery pack and connection pins recycling old phones batteries (these amps can run 3.7v very well) or use the pack I gave her. for that just any battery pack delivering 5v can do.

drivers

I used super cheap 3" from china - these were a great find for under 10$

I can not find them on ali anymore but parts express has plenty of alternatives for dirt cheap - see below:

these are great looking and sounding

Fountek FE87 3" Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

and these are just great for value

Dayton Audio CE65W-8 2-1/2" Shielded Extended Range Driver 8 Ohms

Famous Maker 3" Extended Range Designer Series Driver

and for the radiators I got them there:

2pcs/pack 3 inch PP corrugated plate speaker PU side auxiliary bass radiator subwoofer louderspeaker passive false good Audio-in Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

enclosure:

I mounted all this in 2 cubes of 4"x4" with front facing speakers and rear facing radiators and it has a twist clip on the side so is 1 block when transported and 2 bookshelf when in solid state mode :)

That is all. super easy and cheap to do :) and I promise I will start to take pictures as I build - I have been told it could help better ^^

This is a great little ElCheepo option with lots of function. Bluetooth, Remote Control, Aux.in, FM Tuner, 1/2 Din mount depth, Ect.. Lower Power Out but plenty for portable application..

https://www.amazon.com/XO-Vision-XD...1469369737&sr=8-1&keywords=xo+vision+xd103+fm

I operated one for a little over 7 hours connected to 2-4 ohm 6x9's and a 8" 8 ohm (Ea.) dual vc sub connected to the rear outputs, using the front/rear fader for blending. At a very reasonable volume (~3/4) to supply an outdoor party. This is the type of battery I use. 2 fully charged lasted all night! (Outlasted the hard core beer drinkers) ;)

2016 Portable 32000mAh 12V Car Jump Starter Battery Charger Mini Auto EPS 2.0A USB Phone Laptop Power Bank SOS Lights Free Ship-in Battery Charging Units from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Point being, why mess with several components? The battery is easily recharged, just keep it easily removable. The head unit is fully functional except a CD player. (Who wants to mess with one of those in the middle of a corn field anyway) Pick your poison with speakers/enclosure. 2 gigs paid for it with a profit!

Hi everyone

Sorry for not replying, I've been away for a while. Didn't expect this thread to get so much replies either, thanks a lot for that!

I'm gonna let go of my crazy ideas and just stick to small fullrange drivers with a passive radiator.

I found these Soundlink Mini replicas: 40mm 4? Bluetooth Full Range Audio Speaker Stereo Loudspeaker 10W Sale - Banggood.com

These are really small though so could I put multiple of these into one enclosure to get more volume? Like 4 or 6 with a bigger passive radiator.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.