BK12 build

pcgab

Member
Paid Member
2014-12-02 11:00 am
San Marcos, Texas
Howdy,
I decided to put together a pair of BK12's this weekend for a pair of slightly mod'ed FE126en's(duct seal putty, and felt covering the back of the magnet). As I'm getting closer to gluing the final side on, I've been thinking about the recommended acousta-stuf at the top of the back chamber. I'm curious about what folks use to hold it at the top. I've got some muslin, that I could glue in across the stepped braces to hold it up there, or perhaps some very thin cotton batting.

https://goo.gl/photos/KBWJ6kDh6YsfK8HU7

Picture of the cotton batting:

https://goo.gl/photos/djaTbSA1sPLXM1qCA

I was considering putting some 1/4" - 1/2" wool felt on the driver side of "I1", and at the top just above the driver. I've got plenty of extra 1/4" wool felt if this would be appropriate.

Page 6 of the plans reference the acousta-stuf:

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/bk12m-cab.pdf


Any input/advice here is greatly appreciated!
 

pcgab

Member
Paid Member
2014-12-02 11:00 am
San Marcos, Texas
Since it tends to hold together pretty well, I initially just tacked a few points with hot glue to the top of the cab and let it hang there.

I ended up removing as much of it as I could though - as I tuned them up. I'll probably end up pulling some more out of the front section too, but I'm letting the drivers break in a bit before I decide.

That's exactly what I ended up doing:

https://goo.gl/photos/GJQJDaJfkmhKAjiU9
[IMGDEAD]https://goo.gl/photos/GJQJDaJfkmhKAjiU9[/IMGDEAD]
 

pcgab

Member
Paid Member
2014-12-02 11:00 am
San Marcos, Texas
A few final shots:

IMG_2489_zpshvwlq8s8.jpg


IMG_2491_zpsmgrx6gkq.jpg


IMG_2509_zps1rqe8vmi.jpg


I need to do a few minor touch-ups inside the horn mouths, and plan to scrape the exteriors then seal with lacquer or oil or something.