Benefits of upgrading uF of power electrolytic cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this still seems a small value except for a very small powered amp <10W with 8 ohm speaker attached.
attach more info, some china vendors cheap out on giving value for dollars.
edit > or they expect more caps across the DC rails from an external power supply.

Last edited:
this still seems a small value except for a very small powered amp <10W with 8 ohm speaker attached.
attach more info, some china vendors cheap out on giving value for dollars.
edit > or they expect more caps across the DC rails from an external power supply.

Can you post the schematic, is it regulated? A better power supply can improve the bass significantly, for one thing.

I cannot express how much I would LOVE to pay anyone to help be find schematics for this Panasonic amp. The best I can do is post pics of the amp.

As you can probably guess this is a 2ohm setup. 6 channels divided up by FL, FR, RR, RL at 24W center at 15W and rear sub at 84W.

I would love to discover alternative means of making this setup more efficient, but I am limited by Panasonic's design for Honda.

I will answer any questions you guys have and am offering a reward to anyone willing to help me find schematics or map out this damn board.

I am also open to any other suggestions on what you guys think about this amp. I can label each cap by V and uF if needed.

Thank you all again,

Jesse

Do you have a model number? There's service information somewhere, so people can repair these things.
This is a switching power supply?

No one that anyone on the Acura/Honda realm knows of anyone that repairs them. I I had schematics I could repair about 6 of these sitting in my office. As cap failure is chronic in these units I buy them broken and upgrade the caps (quality wise) while retaining the same uF values (with the exception of the two larger power caps). My issue now is I would like to run a pair of 2200uF 16V Cerafines where I have been running KW, KZ and FG caps. However the size of the Cerafines (35.5mm tall) compared to the KZ and FG caps (27mm) is considerably longer and would be difficult to fit in the small space.

OEM auto sound setup? look at used car parts dealers or go aftermarket for upgrades.
I don't see a 84watt sub amp on your images ( needs heatsinking ) those watt ratings are probably overrated like most car amps.

You are probably correct. The wattages were measurements at the drivers. The amp consists of three 40x2 @ 2ohm units. From that point on I am not sure how it id divided. Aftermarket is an option however the integration of the amp in these cars would require a lot more money to come close to retaining all of the OEM options while benefitting the audio lover.

Oh the heat sink thing. Each power unit is mounted securely to the case in which the board sits. The heat sinks are not in any of these pictures.

Last edited:
so if you determined a cap replacement will fix them, buy the right case sizes >use the advance search on distributors web site, fix by case size and voltage 1st then pick out larger cap values from the results. not sure anyones ears would notice. I reckon you could punch a hole in the cover to fit taller but I wouldnt bother at these minute details. IMO any real upgrade would be custom after market services to derive the max wealth.

Last edited:
so if you determined a cap replacement will fix them, buy the right case sizes >use the advance search on distributors web site, fix by case size and voltage 1st then pick out larger cap values from the results. not sure anyones ears would notice.

I apologize, I should have explained better. I have rebuilt approx 75 of these amps. Once I nailed the signature of the different series of caps I was able to mix and match them for amazing sound quality (<--Relative term) compared to the OEM amp setup. I was just wondering if a 1200uF discrepancy would make that much of a difference on the side of the transistor.

sorry I'm not into 'cap' rolling for selling sound enhancements and your last sentence tells me yer not into electronic repairs either.

I have rebuilt approx 75 of these amps. Once I nailed the signature of the different series of caps I was able to mix and match them for amazing sound quality
umm OK
sounds more like a good sales pitch

Last edited:
Joined 2011
I was just wondering if a 1200uF discrepancy would make that much of a difference on the side of the transistor.

Many of these capacitors are likely to be chosen for low ESR, rather than their bulk capacitance.
Many of the failures are possibly due to overheating due to increased ESR.
It's amazing that you've been able to repair so many of these amps without any schematic or manual.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Thank you for the response. I can see how that could be the issue. I guess I put too much faith
in the engineering of the circuit from panny.

Modern TVs have a similar problem, the power supply electrolytics heat up and fail after several years.
Replace them and the TV works again. Better capacitors that wouldn't fail are more expensive than
the crap they use.

Modern TVs have a similar problem, the power supply electrolytics heat up and fail after several years.
Replace them and the TV works again. Better capacitors that wouldn't fail are more expensive than
the crap they use.

You are not kidding there. It is mind blowing what some caps cost. I am fine with it. I have just enjoyed playing with these amps and trying different combinations of different brands and series.

Thank you for the response. I can see how that could be the issue. I guess I put too much faith in the engineering of the circuit from panny.

many times ppl think there is a magic bullet (component mods) in audio, like anything else involving modifications it takes solid engineering/ know how plus balancing all the tradeoffs, all take time /money. it often comes back to... 'it is what it is'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.