Be Cautious with Obbligato Film Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The shiny gold case just under the thin plastic cover is conductive. If you are bending the leads close to the case it might be wise to insulate them. As well if other components come close to the case some heat shrink tubing might be in order.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• Obligato.JPG
    Obligato.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 826
Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite surprising how often you see these 'bare metal' capacitors in builds, often just relying on the leads to support them

I remember a time when the idea was to remove the insulation jacket off electrolytic caps too - apparently, they can 'sound better' that way, but ...

And then there was the horrible practice of breaking off the power cord 'earth pin' to avoid ground loop hum - makes you wonder how we survived!

It's quite surprising how often you see these 'bare metal' capacitors in builds, often just relying on the leads to support them

I remember a time when the idea was to remove the insulation jacket off electrolytic caps too - apparently, they can 'sound better' that way, but ...

And then there was the horrible practice of breaking off the power cord 'earth pin' to avoid ground loop hum - makes you wonder how we survived!

These fancy caps wouldn't sell nearly as well if they were dipped in epoxy. Unless the epoxy was deer hunt safety orange i guess.

I've seen run of the mill metal film resistors that have had the conformal coating washed or chipped off, too.

Without the shrink wrap label, an electrolytic looks more vintage and more vintage means sounds better.

As for the earth pin - most consumer audio gear doesn't have it to begin with and then when you connect something that does, you get a ground loop because of the poor design of either or both components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.