Batteries for power amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want to run it on batteries without modifying it internally, you need to get an inverter. Be aware though that if you were intending to run it on batteries for improved sound quality, batteries and an inverter will not help. If you just want portability though, an inverter and batteries should do the job fine.

My apartment has very noisy AC power and the idea is that powering my amp via batteries would eliminate the noise problem. Would an inverter introduce a lot of electrical noise?

Would modifying the amps internally to accept DC from the batteries be a lot of work?

Forget batteries+inverter! That completely cancels out the low noise and high current that batteries provide.

All you have to do is figure out how many VDC the power supply rails in your amp need, remove the transformer and diode bridge from the amp, and wire the correct number/series/parallel of batteries into where the dc-out of the diode bridge used to be.

This easy method only works with amps that have a positive rail and a ground rail, though, such as a Tripath amp. It wont work with amps with bi-polar rails unless you create a virtual ground, which is a lot more work with a high-power amp.

then you also need to figure out a charging solution with multiple 12 or 24v chargers.

Now go around and find which bits of kit are causing the mains noise. Is it the freezer, or TV, or fluorescent lamp, etc.?
I've done this extensively and here is my list of noise/interference sources in order of annoyance:

1. fluorescent light
2. unidentified noise, probably from adjacent apartments
3. 2 laptops and 1 desktop computer
4. refrigerator
5. dishwasher
6. electric hot water heater
7. noise introduced by turning on circuits even though nothing is using power on the circuits
8. TV
9. dimmer switch (bathroom light and almost always off)

I'd like to put cheap power filters on the computers, refrigerator, dishwasher, and TV. mouser.com has thousands of them and I'm not sure where to start:

Power Power Line Filters

Can anyone point me in the right direction with these?

Hi,
some of that interference is airborne.
The mains borne can usually be reduced by fitting interference suppressors at switches and across motors. These are simply an integrated R+C that are packaged specifically for this use.

It appears from the long list of interfering equipment that your amplifiers are very susceptible to picking up and amplifying anything.
You must correct this by fitting RF attenuation at the input to every Pre-amp and Power amp.

For airborne interference:
You must enclose your amplifiers in a metal or conducting case and tie the case to Audio Ground and to Mains Safety Earth (PE).

read
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...udio-component-grounding-interconnection.html

The mains borne can usually be reduced by fitting interference suppressors at switches and across motors. These are simply an integrated R+C that are packaged specifically for this use.
I have filters like that which plug into outlets on the same circuit as my amps, but I'd like to get something similar I can put between noisy appliances and the wall to filter them directly. What would you use for that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.