Bass bins for 12" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not quite sure why I bought them, but I have 4 cheap 12" drivers: http://www.mamut.net/homepages/Norway/1/18/dynabel/pa1250-1000-web.jpg

My plan is to cross them over to a horn in the 300-500Hz region. Depending on the chosen design, lower crossover will be maybe 40-100Hz. I don't have room for 4 50Hz horns. The speakers will be used in a ~7.5mx4mx2.5m room(~25ftx13ftx8ft).

How would you suggest I should use these drivers?

Frode

I'm not quite sure why I bought them, but I have 4 cheap 12" drivers: http://www.mamut.net/homepages/Norway/1/18/dynabel/pa1250-1000-web.jpg

My plan is to cross them over to a horn in the 300-500Hz region. Depending on the chosen design, lower crossover will be maybe 40-100Hz. I don't have room for 4 50Hz horns. The speakers will be used in a ~7.5mx4mx2.5m room(~25ftx13ftx8ft).

How would you suggest I should use these drivers?

Frode

Hi Frode,

Suggestions: Use two for a dedicated Sub and the other ones: in closed boxes to 300-500Hz.

b:)

Attachments

• 2x dynaBel-PA1250_T-QWT.JPG
    2x dynaBel-PA1250_T-QWT.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 140
That might work! Is your design a TH with decreasing area towards the open end?

Frode

Yes it has, but thats where any other resemblance cease because a T-TQWT is always stuffed and is loaded more evenly on both the summed diaphragm sides( similar summed amplitudes too).

The generated SPL terminates into a smaller port area that also is insensitive for external boundary impacts.

A T-TQWT have more in common with a traditional TL where the driver(s) are placed very close to the floor and the terminus is placed close, next to the driver front side.

If such a TL is blocked max a couple of cm away from the driver cone and terminus, the SPL sums in the near-field instead of far-field like for a T-TQWT.

A T-TQWT trades SPL for BW opposed to a TH that trades BW for SPL.

Like a TL a T-TQWT accepts a wider range of driver TS(Qts) parameters unlike a TH does.

b:)

Now I see you've put 2 drivers into the sim. I thought I had to double the size if using both in the same box. Actually a nice and small sub. Is 120Hz your recommendtion regarding max upper crossover point? Highpass at 40Hz?

Frode

Last edited:
Now I see you've put 2 drivers into the sim. I thought I had to double the size if using both in the same box. Actually a nice and small sub. Is 120Hz your recommendtion regarding max upper crossover point? Highpass at 40Hz?

Frode

Hi Frode,

The T-TQWT uses two paralleled drivers in the proposed volume= ~167L.

I forgot to mention to consider the design of a detachable lid that should cover the front side of the drivers for easy access to the drivers.

If this lid is removed the T-TQWT turns into an OD-TL (Offset Driver-TL) with a sloping FR as for a TL, perfect for corner loading in a room that have low air leaks to eventual other surrounding environments.

Maybe you can stretch the upper FR bound for the T-TQWT a bit further but it all depends on how much gldy/ amplitude ripple that remains at your chosen XO point and if the box stuffings is chosen with care.

I would start designing two closed boxes(stands for your top Horns?) that suits your needs of mid bass extension down below 100 Hz or ported down to 55-65 Hz.

It looks like if you choose a closed volume between 20-53 L the f-6dB roll-off would be about 86-72 Hz, i.e. the XO can be acoustic overlapping to the Sub that needs an separate dedicated amp(LR 12-24 dB/octave HP).

In case you care for flexibility(I would) and choose a 53 L ported box for the mid basses ,you should use an active HP XO= 12 dB/octave set no lower than ~60 Hz(f-3dB ported =~51 Hz) due to the acoustic gldy.

If you close the port the box reverts into a Qtc= 0.5 system with a f-3dB of ~72 Hz.

For a T-TQWT XO:ed at 80 Hz or below I would choose a 12dB LP filter but if stretching up to 120 Hz I would use >= 24 dB LR filter to ensure not to add localization cues to appear from the sub, that is not happening if 250 Hz is lower than ~-20 dB.

b

PS: I ran my post into Google translate to check if my written language could be understandable. Using a foreign language can sometimes be puzzling: Look at the submitted picture!

Attachments

• Fart.JPG
    Fart.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 101
Thank you for your help!

My initial plan was to use the drivers in push-pull slot loaded BR after djk's recipe, but I'm worried about how high they would be able to go. I also played around with volumes around 50L per driver tuned to ~50Hz, and that seems to work well. Maybe that's a good plan to start with.

As for crossover, I use Audiolense XO from Juice HiFi. The standard setup gives an overlap of 2 octaves, which means that a high passed driver doesn't receive any signal lower than one octave below XO, and vice versa for a low passed driver. This can of course be changed, but it's possible to make quite steep filters.

Frode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.